DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water Hose Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/72669-water-hose-question.html)

Dorot29701 October 10th 04 12:30 PM

Water Hose Question

I bought a new water hose at Sam's. It's a real heavy one. I didn't notice
any problem the first time I used it, but later on I went out to run some water
in a bucket to water flowers. The water was soapy. Husband said, must be the
bucket. Next time, I was washing off patio...water came out soapy. Changed to
clear after few minutes. This happened again recently....

We unscrewed hose and ran the faucet...water fine. Waited a day and tried
again; water clear.

There must be something inside the hose...but what? Has anyone ever run into
this before? There is a guarantee with hose but it's against wear and tear
stuff.

Dorothy

Kerry *self inflicted purple Hearts* Loser October 10th 04 03:16 PM

Dorot29701 wrote:
I bought a new water hose at Sam's. It's a real heavy one. I didn't notice
any problem the first time I used it, but later on I went out to run some water
in a bucket to water flowers. The water was soapy. Husband said, must be the
bucket. Next time, I was washing off patio...water came out soapy. Changed to
clear after few minutes. This happened again recently....

We unscrewed hose and ran the faucet...water fine. Waited a day and tried
again; water clear.

There must be something inside the hose...but what?

If I had to guess based on your description....SOAP!

v October 11th 04 05:58 PM

On 10 Oct 2004 11:30:17 GMT, someone wrote:

....The water was soapy....

How do you know it is "soapy"?

You observed it was "foamy" perhaps - how do you know its soap?

Run it a while to see if you can rinse out whatever it is that's
making it foam. I wouldn't drink from that hose for a while!

-v.

Bob October 12th 04 02:07 AM

"Dorot29701" wrote in message
I bought a new water hose at Sam's. It's a real heavy one. I

didn't notice
any problem the first time I used it, but later on I went out

to run some water
in a bucket to water flowers. The water was soapy. Husband

said, must be the
bucket. Next time, I was washing off patio...water came out

soapy. Changed to
clear after few minutes. This happened again recently....

We unscrewed hose and ran the faucet...water fine. Waited a

day and tried
again; water clear.

There must be something inside the hose...but what? Has anyone

ever run into
this before? There is a guarantee with hose but it's against

wear and tear
stuff.

I've got hoses like that. I think they even said on the packaging
something like "not for potable water". The effect is the same as
you describe. The water comes out "milky" looking.

Bob

Christopher Green October 12th 04 06:09 AM

(v) wrote in message ...
On 10 Oct 2004 11:30:17 GMT, someone wrote:

....The water was soapy....

How do you know it is "soapy"?

You observed it was "foamy" perhaps - how do you know its soap?

Run it a while to see if you can rinse out whatever it is that's
making it foam. I wouldn't drink from that hose for a while!

-v.

Unless it's rated for drinking water, I wouldn't drink from it at all.
PVC hose not rated for drinking water is not rated for drinking water
for the good cruel reason that it will leach lead into the water.

--
Chris Green

Al Bundy October 12th 04 02:22 PM

"Bob" wrote in message news:17Gad.350042$mD.67308@attbi_s02...
[...]

I wonder if that's from something they use to make it easier to
install the hose end fittings. In the old days of natural rubber hoses
we drank from them without thinking and even then it could taste
skunky.