Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

barb

Default adding central ac possible?

Is it possible to add central air to a home that doesn't have it for a
reasonable cost? Some have told me you just can't do it; some have told me
you have to have certain things in place in the current heating system or
it's too expensive and some have told me you can always add it, no problem.
When looking for a home to buy can I consider existing homes without a/c and
add it on?

David W.

"barb" wrote in
:

Is it possible to add central air to a home that doesn't have it for a
reasonable cost? Some have told me you just can't do it; some have
told me you have to have certain things in place in the current
heating system or it's too expensive and some have told me you can
always add it, no problem. When looking for a home to buy can I
consider existing homes without a/c and add it on?

It depends on a number of things: the style of the house (basement, attic,
1 or 2 story, etc.); what you consider "reasonable" cost, whether the house
value would be increased by the addition of AC, etc.

I have several friends who've installed AC in houses without forced air
heat, and they've been happy with both the cost and performance.

David
Tom

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 06:55:13 -0400, "barb"
wrote:

Is it possible to add central air to a home that doesn't have it for a
reasonable cost? Some have told me you just can't do it; some have told me
you have to have certain things in place in the current heating system or
it's too expensive and some have told me you can always add it, no problem.
When looking for a home to buy can I consider existing homes without a/c and
add it on?

If you have an attic or basement it's certainly possible. We had a
rent house with no heater or ductwork converted a few years ago. A
friend in the A/C business did it so we got a good deal but it only
ran about $3,000 to add central heat and air for an 1800 sq.ft. house.
Shop around for quotes and see what you come up with. Good luck.
Bill

There are many factors involved with this, so I would suggest shopping for
any and all homes, then making an offer subject to getting an estimate for
installing central air, if the house does not currently have it.

Then you can back out of the deal and look for another house if it is not
possible or too expensive.

"barb" wrote in message
Is it possible to add central air to a home that doesn't have it for a
reasonable cost? Some have told me you just can't do it; some have told

me
you have to have certain things in place in the current heating system or
it's too expensive and some have told me you can always add it, no

problem.
When looking for a home to buy can I consider existing homes without a/c

and
add it on?

Karl Kingston

In article ,
David W. wrote:
"barb" wrote in
:

Is it possible to add central air to a home that doesn't have it for a
reasonable cost? Some have told me you just can't do it; some have
told me you have to have certain things in place in the current
heating system or it's too expensive and some have told me you can
always add it, no problem. When looking for a home to buy can I
consider existing homes without a/c and add it on?

It depends on a number of things: the style of the house (basement, attic,
1 or 2 story, etc.); what you consider "reasonable" cost, whether the house
value would be increased by the addition of AC, etc.

I have several friends who've installed AC in houses without forced air
heat, and they've been happy with both the cost and performance.

David

I had central air put in this past spring. All they did was cut into the
furnace to install the evaporator coils and set up the compressor outside.
I think the BIGGEST task they had was reconfiguring the ductwork above the
furnace to deal with the addition of the coils.

Took them about a day to install the unit.

Have been really happy with it too.

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:08:58 -0700, someone wrote:

.... making an offer subject to getting an estimate for
installing central air, if the house does not currently have it.

Without any "rules" on what wold constitute an acceptable esimate and
from who, this is pretty much an open ended clause that if I was
selling, I would not agree to. As a seller, I would be inclined to
say that if this is a concern, for them to get their estimate before
making the offer, otherwise I'm not tying my house up with such a
contract. Hell, even with conditions specified, I'd still be inclined
to say that.

-v.