Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Bill Sheppard

Default Cut-pile berber OK for rental property?

I have a rental townhome I need to recarpet. I received advice from my
father-in-law not to use berber as when it snags the vacuum will grab a thread
and pull out a noticeable piece of carpet, plus it doesn't lay well on stairs.
The carpet place is recommend a cut-pile berber and claims this doesn't have
the same drawbacks as a standard berber. Any advice?

Thanks,

Bill
--
@@@@@@@ If my laptop battery is almost empty,
* @@@ * shouldn't my laptop be lighter?
Chris Hill

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 03:34:31 GMT, Bill Sheppard
wrote:

I have a rental townhome I need to recarpet. I received advice from my
father-in-law not to use berber as when it snags the vacuum will grab a thread
and pull out a noticeable piece of carpet, plus it doesn't lay well on stairs.
The carpet place is recommend a cut-pile berber and claims this doesn't have
the same drawbacks as a standard berber. Any advice?

I don't think such a thing exists, it wouldn't be berber. A cut pile
plush isn't berber. I wouldn't use berber, having pulled loops out of
one by accident before. I'd get a good nylon carpet with stain
resistance.
Sporkman

Chris Hill wrote:

I don't think such a thing exists, it wouldn't be berber. A cut pile
plush isn't berber. I wouldn't use berber, having pulled loops out of
one by accident before. I'd get a good nylon carpet with stain
resistance.

I think Chris is right. What did the stuff look like? I suspect you're
falling for a carpet salesman's trick. An acquaintance (carpet salesman
-- never would call one a "friend") described a tack he used . . .
they'd take a cheap carpet out on the pavement and wet it down with a
hose, then put up a sign indicating a "flood sale". Then they'd sell
the "damaged goods" for a price that might seem cheap, but was really
the standard retail markup. People fell for it left and right. I'll
bet your "cut pile Berber" ain't nothin' special, but it carries a
"special" price.
Ermalina

wrote:

I have a rental townhome I need to recarpet. I received advice from my
father-in-law not to use berber as when it snags the vacuum will grab a thread
and pull out a noticeable piece of carpet, plus it doesn't lay well on stairs.
The carpet place is recommend a cut-pile berber and claims this doesn't have
the same drawbacks as a standard berber. Any advice?

I don't think such a thing exists, it wouldn't be berber. A cut pile
plush isn't berber. I wouldn't use berber, having pulled loops out of
one by accident before. I'd get a good nylon carpet with stain
resistance.

http://www.ifloor.com/articles/carp/basics.html

Excerpt:

"Cut Pile Berber

"These products are usually cut pile with a large yarn bundle. They have
a fleck color system that helps hide wear, and offer a more comfortable
look and feel to the Berber customer. For extra-heavy traffic, we offer
the same looks in many brands using frieze twisted yarns. Look for the
fleck colors in the frieze products."
Bill Sheppard

wrote:

[...]

Yes, this is what I saw, and I liked it because it does have the multiple
colors flecked throughout. So can any conclusions be drawn as to whether this
would have the drawback of berber?

Bill

Property Border Lines KAB Home Repair 13 July 3rd 04 03:48 PM
Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4 Mike Mitchell UK diy 381 January 12th 04 12:45 PM
NH property value assessed HOW? no1herenow Home Ownership 7 July 3rd 03 03:13 PM