Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Kevin

Default Flood Zone and insurance

Hello all,

Was hoping to pick someone's brain on flood zones. My situation is
that we bought a second home and I was hit with the fact that we
needed flood insurance. The irony is, my realtor's office and a bank
are closer to the main highway and river than my house is (by over a
block). I am also on just a very slight grade (almost seamless to the
naked eye). I have seen many advertisements about company's going to
"bat" for you to try and have your flood zone designation downgraded
or removed. I did some research, and found that I could submit my own
greivance with the right paperwork to FEMA.

My question is-has anyone done this? Have you gone to FEMA and won or
lost a designation change? Have you hired a company to do this and won
or lost? This house is in a drought area right now, and the last flood
was 75 years ago, which was only just enough to get the streets wet
and messy.

Thanks to anyone and their response.

Kevin