Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Caroline

Default Slats (No Box Spring) for Bed?

An estate sale near my home has a nice deal on a fairly new mattress and
box-like frame with a drawer underneath. There is no box spring mattress. The
frame is nothing special; just veneer over plywood, I presume. But I need a
second bed, the mattress looks good, and I like the look, especially the storage
space underneath.

This could become my main bed.

Can anyone comment on the comfort of such "slat" beds?

I googled but little came up.

Your expeditious response would be appreciated. I have to make a decision within
a couple of hours.

TIA

Don Phillipson

"Caroline" wrote in message
link.net...

Can anyone comment on the comfort of such "slat" beds?
I googled but little came up.

If you mean (a) bed frame of crosswise wood slats,
any number between 12 and 30, with (b) mattress
atop, these are common in Europe (and used to be
sold at Ikea): mine is comfortable after 15 or 20 years.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Harry K

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message ...
"Caroline" wrote in message
link.net...

Can anyone comment on the comfort of such "slat" beds?
I googled but little came up.

If you mean (a) bed frame of crosswise wood slats,
any number between 12 and 30, with (b) mattress
atop, these are common in Europe (and used to be
sold at Ikea): mine is comfortable after 15 or 20 years.

As long as it is a standard size, you can add a box spring if you
want. Just put it on top of the slats or remove the slats if it will
work that way.

Harry K
Christopher Green

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message ...
"Caroline" wrote in message
link.net...

Can anyone comment on the comfort of such "slat" beds?
I googled but little came up.

If you mean (a) bed frame of crosswise wood slats,
any number between 12 and 30, with (b) mattress
atop, these are common in Europe (and used to be
sold at Ikea): mine is comfortable after 15 or 20 years.

Ikea still has them; just got one a couple years ago. The slats are
bowed so as to make the frame springy rather than rigid.

--
Chris Green
Caroline

Thanks, Don, Harry, and Christopher.

With more effort I figured out the bed which I was considering is more commonly
referred to as a "platform bed."

Seems by far most people are quite pleased with theirs, as you all attested.
Several folks commented that getting a really nice mattress is important, too.

Someone snapped up the bed I was looking at, but I'm going to look for another
now. I sure like that drawer underneath.

Again, thanks.

"Christopher Green" wrote
"Don Phillipson" wrote
"Caroline" wrote
Can anyone comment on the comfort of such "slat" beds?
I googled but little came up.

If you mean (a) bed frame of crosswise wood slats,
any number between 12 and 30, with (b) mattress
atop, these are common in Europe (and used to be
sold at Ikea): mine is comfortable after 15 or 20 years.

Ikea still has them; just got one a couple years ago. The slats are
bowed so as to make the frame springy rather than rigid.

John Reece

"Caroline" wrote in message hlink.net...

Can anyone comment on the comfort of such "slat" beds?

I have a regular box spring/mattress setup in my MBR and a slat
bed in the guest room. I really don't see the benefit of a box
spring, just a little extra give if you flop down hard. They
were probably invented as a gimmick to help mattress
retailers pad sales. Just like auto dealers with their
undercoating/clear coating.

One slat bed advantage is in a small room - it takes up less
volume.

John Reece
Truckee, CA