DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Steel/iron rod stock: Where to find? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/64053-steel-iron-rod-stock-where-find.html)

Charles Packer August 6th 04 12:29 PM

Steel/iron rod stock: Where to find?

I need steel or iron rod stock of 1/2 to 3/4 inch diameter for
a project this weekend. In case I can't find this at Home Depot
or Lowe's, where should I go? If steel plumbing pipe of these
outside diameters is still sold these days, it would be acceptable.
The essence of my project (it's too complicated to describe further)
is that I'll be fabricating lawn ornaments that will have cores
of this rod. They'll be up to eight feet tall and be driven
into the ground as far as I can pound them.

Doug Miller August 6th 04 02:36 PM

In article , (Charles Packer) wrote:
I need steel or iron rod stock of 1/2 to 3/4 inch diameter for
a project this weekend. In case I can't find this at Home Depot
or Lowe's, where should I go? If steel plumbing pipe of these
outside diameters is still sold these days, it would be acceptable.
The essence of my project (it's too complicated to describe further)
is that I'll be fabricating lawn ornaments that will have cores
of this rod. They'll be up to eight feet tall and be driven
into the ground as far as I can pound them.

Look with the concrete supplies at Lowe's or HD -- seems to me that rebar
ought to work just fine for what you describe.

If you need something smooth, pick up the Yellow Pages and look under "Steel
Distributors".

John Davies August 6th 04 03:25 PM

Steel/iron rod stock: Where to find?

On 6 Aug 2004 04:29:36 -0700, (Charles Packer)
wrote:

I need steel or iron rod stock of 1/2 to 3/4 inch diameter for
a project this weekend. In case I can't find this at Home Depot
or Lowe's, where should I go? If steel plumbing pipe of these
outside diameters is still sold these days, it would be acceptable.
The essence of my project (it's too complicated to describe further)
is that I'll be fabricating lawn ornaments that will have cores
of this rod. They'll be up to eight feet tall and be driven
into the ground as far as I can pound them.

I was in Home Depot last week, and saw both regular rebar as well as
smooth steel bar stock in all lengths. Lowe's doesn't carry nearly as
large a selection as HD in their concrete section.

If you can't find it there, look up "Steel" in your Yellow Pages. If
that doesn't work, any local welding shop will probably have what you
need.

John

John Davies TLCA 14732
http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/
'96 Lexus LX450
'00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro
Spokane WA USA

Doug Miller August 6th 04 11:48 PM

Steel/iron rod stock: Where to find?

In article , John Davies wrote:
[snip]
John Davies TLCA 14732
http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/
'96 Lexus LX450
'00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro
Spokane WA USA

Why would you think that anybody cares what kind of overpriced cars you drive?

Charles Packer August 8th 04 11:51 AM

wrote:
I was in Home Depot last week, and saw both regular rebar as well as
smooth steel bar stock in all lengths. Lowe's doesn't carry nearly as
large a selection as HD in their concrete section.

Thanks. As it turns out, I ended up using 1/2-inch PVC pipe. When I
got to Lowe's, I tried flexing one and realized it would probably
be stiff enough to pound into the ground. So I bought one
for a proof-of-principle experiment. It has the added
attraction that when loaded with the wood objects that constitute
my sculpture, it sways in the wind.

-- --|
(Charles Packer)
http://cpacker.org/whatnews

v August 12th 04 06:19 PM

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:48:11 GMT, someone wrote:

Why would you think that anybody cares what kind of overpriced cars you drive?

Maybe he usually posts to a car enthusiasts' group, where such a sig
would be appropriate. On a motorcycle group I am on, people usually
post their bikes. But yeah, not much point to it here.

-v.

John Davies August 17th 04 12:30 AM

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:48:11 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , John Davies wrote:
[snip]
John Davies TLCA 14732
http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/
'96 Lexus LX450
'00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro
Spokane WA USA

Why would you think that anybody cares what kind of overpriced cars you drive?

One more added to the kill file.