Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Jay

Default Wire drop capital pacific homes

Hi,
Will someone tell me if I can drop low voltage wires (cat 5 and
coaxial) into different bedrooms. The builder 'Capital Pacific homes'
will charge $140 for each drop per cable. There will be 5 drops, two
cat5 and one coaxial in each room. Some people say that if you speak
to the superintendent and get his permission, I can run my own low
voltage cables. Has anyone had any experience with this builder. One
of my friends purchased a Marcay home recently. He said that his
builder will remove low voltage wires, if it was not an option when
the contract was signed. Yet others have said that the drywallers
won't cut openings for those low voltage wire drops if it was done by
the owner of the home. Strictly speaking I don't own the home until
it is closed. I would also like to say that I have read about low
voltage cable drops extensively, I have connected them through routers
before. I am also familiar about 568A and 568B standard. I haven't
drilled through studs or joists before, but that shouldn't be
difficult. With joists I have to drill holes 3/4" diameter, near the
middle so that strength of the joist is not compromised. Thanks.
Travis Jordan

Jay wrote:
[...]

What other people say (yes, even those here on usenet) doesn't count.
The only thing that matters is what your builder says you may do, or not
do, under your contract. Ask them.

Jay

What other people say (yes, even those here on usenet) doesn't count.
The only thing that matters is what your builder says you may do, or not
do, under your contract. Ask them.

I would like to hear from someone who has been through this with
Capital pacific homes.
Jay
Jay

There is obviously a
reason you don't want to ask them. Care to share?

I will certainly ask the superintendent. Don't think I am trying to
get an answer without accosting the superintendent. I paid my earnest
money about a week back, infact purchased the lot couple of weeks
back. The builder is yet to begin construction. The home will be
ready by March or April of next year. There are about 20 homes or so
to be built, before my home begins. If the superintendent says 'no',
I might go wireless. I would like to hear from someone who has been
through this.

Also do you know enough of the building code to not cause problems if you put
the wiring in yourself?

I dont know enough of building codes, I understand that if I make a
mistake that I will be billed for replacing joist etc. In the coming
weeks I hope I will be a little more educated with that.

Travis Jordan

Jay wrote:
What other people say (yes, even those here on usenet) doesn't count.
The only thing that matters is what your builder says you may do, or
not do, under your contract. Ask them.

I would like to hear from someone who has been through this with
Capital pacific homes.
Jay

To date CPH has only built about 23,000 homes U.S.-wide. You will be
very, very fortunate to have a usenet user among them, and it will be
even more amazing if one of those subscribes to misc.consumers.house.
And, happens to drop in during the retention period for your post on
their server. You'd be better off buying a lottery ticket.