Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Rocky Moore

Default Anyone used the new ..

Anyone used the new (at least here ) plastic composite type decking
material? They say it lasts for ages and not not weather. I am concerned
that since it is plastic based it would scratch and be hard to cover up.
Also, does it bow when there is much weight on it, or does would work
better?

---
Rocky Moore
www.HintsAndTips.com
Share your Tips and Earn Rewards!
Promote your site for by simply posting tips!!

John Davies

On Sun, 30 May 2004 08:52:14 -0700, "Rocky Moore"
wrote:

Anyone used the new (at least here ) plastic composite type decking
material? They say it lasts for ages and not not weather. I am concerned
that since it is plastic based it would scratch and be hard to cover up.
Also, does it bow when there is much weight on it, or does would work
better?

INH, in high maintenance climates the plastic decking is definitely
better, since you don't have to worry about wood rot and regular
staining or water-proofing. Also it won't split or splinter, so it's
easier on bare feet.

Some of the downsides a

It is not nearly as rigid as wood - max span is 16 inches, I think. I
don't consider plastic decking to have any significant structural
strength.

The color looks artificial

It can melt if you spill hot grease from a grill on it.

Some brands are tongue and groove with a textured top and ribbed
bottom. If you accidently cut an angle on the wrong end you may have
to scrap that board rather than just flipping it over.

It is soft and will scratch, but no more so than cedar. But it isn't
easily repaired.

I like my plastic deck, all things considered.

John Davies
http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/
'96 Lexus LX450
'00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro
Spokane WA USA
Rocky Moore

wrote:

[...]

Did not think of hot things on the deck. Do not think I would run into many
of those.

Do like the idea of it being easier on the feet, never really thought about
that

Thanks for the reply!

wrote:

Anyone used the new (at least here ) plastic composite type decking
material? They say it lasts for ages and not not weather. I am concerned
that since it is plastic based it would scratch and be hard to cover up.
Also, does it bow when there is much weight on it, or does would work
better?

Another poster addressed most of your points. The stuff does weather;
it discolors to a sort of blah grey over time, but it really doesn't
need much maintenance other than regular sweeping, spraying off of the
surface, and periodic (3-5 years) sealing. I like it a lot, but I
should warn you that it's hotter under the bare feet than regular wood
in prolonged sun. I can deal with that in exchange for not worrying
about splinters. Just build it right, with the 16" support, and
you'll be fine if you live in a very wet climate or a climate with a
lot of winter. This stuff is used a lot in the Everglades in Florida,
plus it recycles plastic, a good thing in my book.
John R Weiss

"Rocky Moore" wrote...
Anyone used the new (at least here ) plastic composite type decking
material? They say it lasts for ages and not not weather. I am concerned
that since it is plastic based it would scratch and be hard to cover up.
Also, does it bow when there is much weight on it, or does would work
better?

Our decks are planked with Trex, one of the brands. It is a combination of
plastic and wood fibers (sawdust?), and does "weather" in color. It also
will take stain if you want -- I stained part of it, under some benches, and
it came out pretty nice.

As long as it is installed correctly, it will not bow or warp. Cost is
about the same as 5/4 decking, but more than 1x4 or 1x6 decking.