Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Dena

Default drain smell

Moved into a fifteen year old house two years ago, and began noticing
a smell that permeated the first floor. Kind of smelled like wet
socks. First we thought it was a dead mouse in a vent or wall. At
different times, we thought we tracked it down to: water collecting
under the refigerator, water collecting under a wash basin, and
drains, drains, drains. I can smell it coming from at least two,
maybe three drains, including the upstairs shower drain. I can
especially notice it in the morning when first walking downstairs. If
you really want it to stink go away for a good week.

What would be causing such a smell, and not just in one drain, but
several? Mold?

We have tried the bleach, baking soda and vinegar trick. They seemed
to help, but for a week at most.

I've surfed through previous posts, but they all seem to prescribe the
above. Does anyone have any further insights?

Thank you for your time,

Brian
Whiney Lefty

Dena wrote:
[...]

probably hair, soap scum, dead skin cells, etc. Bacteria builds up and
causes a black slime. For drains under bathroom vanities and kitchen
sinks, you can remove the p or s trap and clean it out, then reassemble.
Gets messy though but worth the results. Garbage disposals are prone
to smells too, I never use mine though and it smells fresh!

Speedy Jim

Dena wrote:

[...]

Yes, mold. Especially bad in houses with well water.
The water in each trap protects you from sewer gases
and mold odors generated *downstream* of the trap,
but the short sections *above* the trap can hold lots
of mucky mold-friendly stuff.

Like you, I've found that dumping bleach down helps
for a short time; then the stuff grows right back.
That's because the muck (mostly soap scum) is till there.
The fix is to take apart the drain pipe above the trap
inlet and scrub inside with a small brush or pull a rag
thru soaked in bleach.

For the shower drain, take the cover off and use a toothbrush
to clean the sides of the pipe all the way to the water level
in the trap.

If you still have an odor problem (especially around a bathroom),
there may be a toilet seal not sealed perfectly or (less likely)
a broken vent pipe, etc.

Jim
Dena

Thanks for all the replies.

You've given me some leads that I can work on.

Brian
thePipeDr

BIO-CLEAN because SLUDGE IN YOUR PIPES CAN CAUSE DISEASES!

Don't forget to clear out the Organic Material!

Kills harmful bacteria from your drains!
Bio-Clean clears your drains of Sludge!
Remove the stink from your Septic System!
Makes sinks and toilets stop smelling as well!

Bacteria and insects want your water and sewage to live and grow.
Don't let them infect your home with disease!

Get Your 2 Lb. Container of Bio-Clean at PipeDoctorUSA.com Today!

thePipeDr

ROOT-X because TREE ROOTS WILL CRACK PIPES!

Now you can clear your drains of Tree Roots with Root-X: The Foaming
Root Control. Find the Lowest Available Web Pricing at
PipeDoctorUSA.com

Even if you don't see the roots, it's pretty much guaranteed they are
in your sewage lines slowing your draining. Trees Roots feed on your
water and sewage lines, they will find a way in!

Will prevent small sewage cracks from allowing larger root growth;
stopping the roots from making the crack larger!

Get Your 2 Lb. or 4 Lb. Container of Root-X at PipeDoctorUSA.com
Today!