Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Iluv

Default How to inspect your attic?

hello,i'm buying a new house and will do my own walkthrough with my
friends. My question is, what do you look for when you inspect the
attic? What about the insulation, etc.? Just trying to find out what
things to be on the lookout for in the attic. Thanks
Speedy Jim

Iluv wrote:

hello,i'm buying a new house and will do my own walkthrough with my
friends. My question is, what do you look for when you inspect the
attic? What about the insulation, etc.? Just trying to find out what
things to be on the lookout for in the attic. Thanks

Is this a "new" new house or old/new-to-you?

Do a GOOGLE for "attic inspection".
I got 81,000 hits.

Jim
ameijers

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message ...
Iluv wrote:

hello,i'm buying a new house and will do my own walkthrough with my
friends. My question is, what do you look for when you inspect the
attic? What about the insulation, etc.? Just trying to find out what
things to be on the lookout for in the attic. Thanks

Is this a "new" new house or old/new-to-you?

Do a GOOGLE for "attic inspection".
I got 81,000 hits.

What he said. Aside from the obvious (daylight, moisture, funny smells,
animal droppings, etc), you also need to eyeball the condition of the
framing, adequacy of the structure, adequacy of ventilation and insulation,
and a few dozen other things. Unless one of your friends is 'in the
business' (or at least grew up in it as I did), I strongly recommend you
get professional assistance. If you are financing the place, the bank will
likely insist upon it. While I have the expertise to do it myself, and
would, I would also get an independent inspection even if the bank didn't
happen to require it. Data overload (from the stress of the buying
experience) and rose-colored glasses (from falling in love with the house)
can make even people that know what they are doing miss stuff. Think of it
as proofreading- a fresh set of eyes sees stuff you don't.

aem sends....

eddy eagle

"ameijers" wrote in message ...
"Speedy Jim" wrote in message ...
Iluv wrote:

[...]

And much depends upon how accessible the attic is. Some you can walk
in and others are difficult to crawl. Find someone willing to crawl to
the edges if necessary and look between all the rafters looking for
structural defects and dark spots indicating water entry. So called
home inspectors often just poke their heads up through an access door
in the closet and make their analysis of the entire cavity.