Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

AlanA7193

Default Oil tanks

This week I had a problem with my oil burner and the person my oil company sent
to fix it told me, among other things, that my tanks (not underground) are
living on borrowed time b/c there is a parasite in home heating oil that will
erode or corrode the tanks over time. He told me that they treat the oil for
it these days. My tanks are about 50 years old. Anyone know what he was
referring to?????????
Medusa

AlanA7193 wrote:

This week I had a problem with my oil burner and the person my oil company sent
to fix it told me, among other things, that my tanks (not underground) are
living on borrowed time b/c there is a parasite in home heating oil that will
erode or corrode the tanks over time. He told me that they treat the oil for
it these days. My tanks are about 50 years old. Anyone know what he was
referring to?????????

Tanks that are above ground last MUCH longer than buried tanks.

Steve Stone

How long do buried tanks last ?

Mine has been buried since house was built in 1988 ?

Tanks that are above ground last MUCH longer than buried tanks.

Speedy Jim

Steve Stone wrote:

How long do buried tanks last ?

Mine has been buried since house was built in 1988 ?

Steel tanks can have a useful life of 25 to 50 years.
Depends on how well it was protected and what the soil
conditions are.
Jim

Tanks that are above ground last MUCH longer than buried tanks.