DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER UNIT PROBLEM/ water draining constantly?? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/62243-reverse-osmosis-water-unit-problem-water-draining-constantly.html)

Roger L January 31st 04 07:19 PM

REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER UNIT PROBLEM/ water draining constantly??

Hello,

I have one of these units installed under the kitchen sink.

I came into the house the other day and heard the water making some
kind of sizzling noise in the drain and noticed it came from this
"osmosis" unit, as no taps were turned on. There were no leaks
anywhere. There was also some air noise in the water pipe.

The system is due for some change of filters and I plan to have it
done.

What I cannot understand is why the water is running from this unit
and making that noise. I have since shut down the unit by closing the
water valve and valve on the tank.

Has anybody had a similar experience and what was the part that caused
it to drain continuosly and make that noise in the drain?

Roger

Paul Franklin February 1st 04 06:43 PM

On 31 Jan 2004 11:19:21 -0800, (Roger L) wrote:

Hello,

I have one of these units installed under the kitchen sink.

I came into the house the other day and heard the water making some
kind of sizzling noise in the drain and noticed it came from this
"osmosis" unit, as no taps were turned on. There were no leaks
anywhere. There was also some air noise in the water pipe.

The system is due for some change of filters and I plan to have it
done.

What I cannot understand is why the water is running from this unit
and making that noise. I have since shut down the unit by closing the
water valve and valve on the tank.

Has anybody had a similar experience and what was the part that caused
it to drain continuosly and make that noise in the drain?

Roger

Not sure what you mean by "sizzling " noise? It is normal for RO
filters to run water into the drain. It washes away the "gunk" that
the filter is filtering out to prevent the membrane from getting
plugged up immediately. But generally it is a small trickle (from the
undersink units), and only flows while the unit is replenishing the
storage tank after some water has been used.

If the membrane is getting plugged, more than the usual amount of
water may be draining.

HTH,

Paul