Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Roman

Default Boiler, and heating question

This is my first winter in this house, and in the past few days it
reach 5 degrees outside here in New York, and my temperature at home
was 65 degrees, and I couldn't get it to 72 degrees. So I had to buy
an extra electric heater. I was wandering what I should do, I'de like
to feel comfortable in this house. Mine is a brick house, brand name
efficient windows, my oil boiler is about 25-30 years. The first
floor for some reason was warm, but my 2nd floor was pretty cold. Do
I need to replace a boiler with a more powerful one, or maybe there is
some other trick that can be used? Thanks
Medusa

Roman wrote:
This is my first winter in this house, and in the past few days it
reach 5 degrees outside here in New York, and my temperature at home
was 65 degrees, and I couldn't get it to 72 degrees. So I had to buy
an extra electric heater. I was wandering what I should do, I'de like
to feel comfortable in this house. Mine is a brick house, brand name
efficient windows, my oil boiler is about 25-30 years. The first
floor for some reason was warm, but my 2nd floor was pretty cold. Do
I need to replace a boiler with a more powerful one, or maybe there is
some other trick that can be used? Thanks

If you have hot water baseboard heat, try bleeding the radiators
upstairs to remove air from the system.

Stormin Mormon

Call a heating guy for a clean and check. The other fellow's suggestion to
bleed the air is a great idea, too.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

"Roman" wrote in message
om...
This is my first winter in this house, and in the past few days it
reach 5 degrees outside here in New York, and my temperature at home
was 65 degrees, and I couldn't get it to 72 degrees. So I had to buy
an extra electric heater. I was wandering what I should do, I'de like
to feel comfortable in this house. Mine is a brick house, brand name
efficient windows, my oil boiler is about 25-30 years. The first
floor for some reason was warm, but my 2nd floor was pretty cold. Do
I need to replace a boiler with a more powerful one, or maybe there is
some other trick that can be used? Thanks

Tom Eisenman

Our forced hot water heat was not keeping up with the -10 degree weather we
had recently. The service tech raised the temperature of the water being
distributed to the radiators from 180 to 190. This helped. If the water
temp had already been set as high as it could go, and the boiler was
maintaining the temperature that was set, then if the house was still cold
it would be an indication that more feet of baseboard radiator should be
installed.

When home heating systems are designed, a calculation is done to estimate
the number of feet of baseboard needed to maintain the house temperature on
the coldest expected temperature for the area. Around here that would be
around -10 F. This calculation is based on the number and size of windows,
amount of insulations and so forth. Now, if once in ten years it gets
colder than that, peoles houses are going to be a little cool. Of course, if
the calculations are not accurate, the problem will probably be discovered
the first winter.

om...