Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Eric Tonks

Default ****ed off at th thermostat

If you read your house insurance policy, you will most likely find a clause
that says you MUST have the house checked at least once every 48 or 72 hours
to ensure that there are no leaks and that the heat is still running. If you
don't have the house checked by someone, and you cannot prove you did, the
insurance company will walk away from you, refusing to pay any claims if
there is any damage caused by the things that they say must be checked.

"Ignoramus28269" wrote in message
Recently, one day before we had to go on vacation, our house
thermostat quietly stopped telling the furnace to turn on and quietly
displayed a LOW BATTERY warning. We noticed it because it started
getting cold. A change of battery took care of it.

I am mad as hell. What if such a thing happened while we were on
vacation? The house would freeze! (we are in northern IL) And then
pipes would burst!

So.

My question is, are there replacement thermostats that are more
reliable than that POS. Perhaps a thermostat with a solar battery
built in (like my watch), or some such thing.

I want my house to be more proofed for things like temporary power
outages, etc, in case we are not around.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

George E. Cawthon

Bull ****. What kind of insurance, $24 a year for a
$100,000 house? Than isn't insurance, it is a legal
agreement to regulate your life style, and it isn't
reasonable. People are away from their houses longer than
that on a regular basis.

Eric Tonks wrote:

[...]

George E. Cawthon

Not likely, since read it periodically and just finished
reading it. I might be surprised by the way they interpret
some phrases. Insurance is primarily for fire and other
destruction of the house, theft, and liability. So lots of
things are not covered. And, Yes, if you have broken pipes
and water ruins the house from freezing, it isn't covered.
If you get freezing damage and the house was heated, they
will pay. But my policy makes no demands on how often you
check on the house, or how long you are gone.

I was surprised by a friend who showed me that the tries on
her new Explorer were not covered for road damage (she got a
puncture from the a rock and the rock stuck in the tire).
Surprised me too that there is no road hazard coverage for
the original tires on my truck (3 years old). Cheap, but
can't avoid it with new cars. However, I would never buy a
tire that didn't have a road hazard warrantee.

Eric Tonks wrote:

Read your policy -- you may find surprises.

"Art Begun" wrote in message
ink.net...
In most states, homeowner's insurance is regulated and they would not
get away with crap like that but perhaps in some state they can....

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Bull ****. What kind of insurance, $24 a year for a
$100,000 house? Than isn't insurance, it is a legal
agreement to regulate your life style, and it isn't
reasonable. People are away from their houses longer than
that on a regular basis.

AJScott

Yeah ... and I've been trying to get my wife to buy the line that my not
wanting to do the dishes and dust furniture is "an act of God," seeing
that no other hetero guy in history has ever been predisposed to do such
things. But she ain't biting.

But Lord forbid that there be some big spider on the ceiling that needs
squishing or someone has to drag their ass up a ladder to scoop out all
the squishy, mucky leaves and whirlygigs out of the gutters wice a year.

Sigh.

AJS.

Eric Tonks wrote:

Read your policy -- you may find surprises.

"Art Begun" wrote in message
ink.net...
In most states, homeowner's insurance is regulated and they would not
get away with crap like that but perhaps in some state they can....

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Bull ****. What kind of insurance, $24 a year for a
$100,000 house? Than isn't insurance, it is a legal
agreement to regulate your life style, and it isn't
reasonable. People are away from their houses longer than
that on a regular basis.

Art Begun

Here is a tire surprise. If you buy a Chrysler extended warranty.....
say for 7 years. You can include a tire option. The tire option only
covers original tires.

Eric Tonks wrote:

Read your policy -- you may find surprises.

ink.net...