Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

rindge leaphart

Default Carpet Wet

I had a crappy carpet cleaner come in on Monday to clean the carpet in the
family room. Did a sloppy job and some of the stains look worse than when
he began. The next issue was smell, the carpet did not dry on Monday and
was still somewhat damp on Tuesday which created a foul odor. Today (Wed) I
called in Chem-Dry to work the spots on the carpet and he also sprayed some
type of mold liquid. Hopefully the carpet will dry out soon, but the smell
is still there. I have the AC on 75 degrees and the ceiling fan on. Any
ideas on what I can do for the smell and if I have any serious damage due to
the carpet being wet - not drenched, but somewhat damp - for two days.

Thanks

Rindge

Bill Seurer

rindge leaphart wrote:

Any
ideas on what I can do for the smell

Do you or a previous owner have cats?

rindge leaphart

We laid new carpet when we moved in. The previous owner had a dog, but once
again we put in new carpet. Also, when I had the carpet cleaned last year -
no smell

"Bill Seurer" wrote in message
rindge leaphart wrote:

Any
ideas on what I can do for the smell

Do you or a previous owner have cats?

Joe Esposito

Try to find a local flood/fire/water restoration company that has an
industrial liquid extractor for carpets.

Get the carpet dry as soon as possible. You still may need to remove
the old carpet padding.

Joe E.

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 16:13:18 GMT, "rindge leaphart"
wrote:

I had a crappy carpet cleaner come in on Monday to clean the carpet in the
family room. Did a sloppy job and some of the stains look worse than when
he began. The next issue was smell, the carpet did not dry on Monday and
was still somewhat damp on Tuesday which created a foul odor. Today (Wed) I
called in Chem-Dry to work the spots on the carpet and he also sprayed some
type of mold liquid. Hopefully the carpet will dry out soon, but the smell
is still there. I have the AC on 75 degrees and the ceiling fan on. Any
ideas on what I can do for the smell and if I have any serious damage due to
the carpet being wet - not drenched, but somewhat damp - for two days.

Thanks

Rindge

Joe Esposito

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:56:36 GMT, "rindge leaphart"
wrote:

Joe, thanks for the message. Carpet is now dry, faint smell still exists,
but not as overpowering as yesterday. How can I tell if need to replace the
padding?

Rindge

You really just need to make sure you don't have mold growing under
the carpet. The car may appear to be dry but the padding may be damp
enough for mold to grow.

You won't know unless you pull up part of the carpet.

To remove odors you may want to try something like this:
http://jon-doninc.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=15330

I would just fine-mist spray something like the product above on the
carpet and see if the oder goes away. Don't get the carpet too wet
again.

Just my opinion,.....I've learned alot about moisture/mold the hard
way.....

Joe E.