Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

ME

Default Types of HVAC Ducts??

Looked at a nice ranch recently put up for sale. My wife swore that when
she looked underneath into the crawl space she saw HVAC ductwork which that
she described as shiny black, round flexible plastic material. I have no
idea what she is talking about. Would anybody reading this note have any
knowledge of perhaps what she saw?? I do not have time to go back and take
a look as the house is a fair distance from where we live and I would also
have to make arrangements with our realtor.

thanks....

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 01:02:54 -0700, "ME"
wrote:

Looked at a nice ranch recently put up for sale. My wife swore that when
she looked underneath into the crawl space she saw HVAC ductwork which that
she described as shiny black, round flexible plastic material. I have no
idea what she is talking about. Would anybody reading this note have any
knowledge of perhaps what she saw?? I do not have time to go back and take
a look as the house is a fair distance from where we live and I would also
have to make arrangements with our realtor.

thanks....

It's Flexible Insulated ducts - when we had our house built 12 years
ago we got it and found it (over time) to be as good as or better than
the sheet metal ducts we had in our previous two houses!
Mary Shafer

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 11:10:26 -0500, "David W."
wrote:

Care to back that statement up with some facts? Flexible ductwork is used
extensively in many areas. In large parts of Texas,for example, houses are
build on slab (no basements). HVAC ductwork is necessarily run in the attic
space. The flex duct is both easier to run around roof framing and
insulated for added efficiency. Running standard sheet metal ductwork and
insulating it would be prohibitively expensive, and probably impossible
with a trussed roof.

We have a house on a slab with standard sheet-metal ductwork. It
obviously isn't impossible, even with cathedral ceilings and a trussed
roof. Actually, everyone in my neighborhood has the same.

Our new house, again on a slab, will have flexible duct but it's
wrapped in heavy insulation with a silver covering. The OP was
describing bare black duct, I believe.

Mary

"Turn to kill, not to engage." LCDR Willie Driscoll, USN
Bob G.

Heck both of my sons install heating and a/c equipment for a
living...and in their own home they installed flexible duct runs simply
because it was a heck of a lot less expensive and a LOT EASIER TO
INSTALL plus it works just fine... It is true that it is a little more
restrictive on air flow..BUT that factor usually is taken into account...

Bob Griffiths