DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shop Vac to pick up leaves? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/310943-shop-vac-pick-up-leaves.html)

Tam September 30th 10 11:25 PM

Shop Vac to pick up leaves?

Is is possible to use a Shop Vac with no attachment on the end of the hose,
of course, to gather your leaves in the fall? The law doesn't allow you to
rake them into the street anymore and my landscaper charged an outrageous
price last year.

Rich Greenberg October 1st 10 01:09 AM

Shop Vac to pick up leaves?

In article , Tam wrote:
Is is possible to use a Shop Vac with no attachment on the end of the hose,
of course, to gather your leaves in the fall? The law doesn't allow you to
rake them into the street anymore and my landscaper charged an outrageous
price last year.

Yes, but the shop-vac will fill in seconds. And then what are you going
to do with 50-100 trash bags of leaves? Burning them is probably also
illegal.

--
Rich Greenberg Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 941 378 2097
Canines: Val, Red, Shasta, Zero & Casey (At the bridge) Owner:Chinook-L

terrable October 1st 10 06:06 AM

Shop Vac to pick up leaves?

"Tam" wrote in message
Is is possible to use a Shop Vac with no attachment on the end of the
hose, of course, to gather your leaves in the fall? The law doesn't allow
you to rake them into the street anymore and my landscaper charged an
outrageous price last year.

The right tool is a lawn vacuum/shredder. Billy Goat is a well known maker
of lawn vacuums.

GregS[_3_] October 1st 10 02:31 PM

Shop Vac to pick up leaves?

In article , "terrable" wrote:

"Tam" wrote in message
Is is possible to use a Shop Vac with no attachment on the end of the
hose, of course, to gather your leaves in the fall? The law doesn't allow
you to rake them into the street anymore and my landscaper charged an
outrageous price last year.

The right tool is a lawn vacuum/shredder. Billy Goat is a well known maker
of lawn vacuums.

I use a Stihl blower/vacuum/shreader, and it sort of works. Regardless, you still
have to either pack those paper bags really tight or put it in a pile like I do.
The hose on a shop vac is too small. Its just as easy to use a blower
to push the leaves in a pile for packing up. Don't use one of those stupid horizontal
motor blowers. They don't move right to left very easy. Stihl has a vertical
motor.

greg