Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Garage door openers

I would appreciate some opinions on garage door openers.

I presently have a genie of indeterminate age that is starting to fail.
Its a screw drive consumer model with the three part track bolted
together.

The local door service I called suggests replaceing it with a
Liftmaster, either chain or belt driven. They tell me that the quality
of the Genie has gone down in the last few years and they no longer
carry Genie.

Questions:

1) Is the motor on the Genie (which seems to have become intermittant)
easily obtainable and easily replaceable? Should I first replace the
starting capacitor? It seems to start OK, raises the door a foot or two
and stops. The adjustment for sensitivity (is that the right term) is
at max.

2) Whats the dependability of Liftmasters in general? Between screw
drive, chain drive & belt drive which is the best and most relieable?
I only have experience with screw drives.

Thanks for you help.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L

Garage door openers Rich Greenberg Home Repair 20 September 8th 08 12:53 AM
Garage door openers Brian Reay UK diy 1 April 1st 07 06:00 PM
GARAGE DOOR OPENERS BrianInNY Home Repair 5 January 1st 07 11:31 PM
Garage door openers Steve Barker LT Home Repair 10 December 8th 06 05:28 PM
Garage door openers D'Olier Home Repair 7 January 15th 06 08:15 AM