Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default insulation

ransley wrote:
On Aug 16, 7:29 pm, ransley wrote:
On Aug 16, 7:07 pm, aemeijers wrote:

ransley wrote:
On Aug 15, 3:03 pm, (GregS) wrote:
In article , (GregS) wrote:
Has anyone tried adding insulation between the brick of a house and the facing.
Funny thing, i added paper blown in insulation in the attic and much of it
ended up
inside behind the brick. My whole house fan also tends to blow stuff down
there.
I'm putting in new windows and am wondering about that space.
greg
I don't know what the R value of brick is. I know cinder block is roughly R 3.5
greg
Block is no better than R 1-2 for the whole block, that is nothing in
terms of real value, brick is maybe R 1, single pane glass is R 1,
walls should be optimaly R 20-40 I doubt it is worth it, better would
be if walls spaces are uninsulated to foam them
Y'all are missing the point- that space behind the brick is there for a
reason, to let water drain down to the weep holes instead of soaking
through the tar paper and rotting the walls. Brick veneer is not
waterproof against a driving rain, and when the humidity goes up and
down with the daily temp cycles, you also get condensation back there.
I'll bet OP or a previous owner had the soffits replaced at some point,
and the crew that did it took off the boards that used to cover that
space. So now when attic fan blows, the loose fill insulation up there
follows the air path and ends up behind the brick. There are supposed to
be dams up in the attic, to hold the insulation away from the soffit
vents- either those were not installed, or when more insulation was
added, they didn't use the right plastic thingies between the rafters
that serve the same function. The attic insulation is not supposed to go
past the top plate of the walls.
No idea what a fix would be at this point- the stuff has probably turned
to concrete, so no way to vacuum it out or blow it out.
--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

I didnt miss it, I said Wall space. Wall space is lilely 3.5", brick

But I should have been clear I was not.

That wasn't what I meant by missing the point. To me, at least, OP was
advocating insulating the space between the brick and the tarpaper, and
nobody was calling him on that.

--
aem sends...