Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Mom's outrageous water meter readings!!!

My mom informed me that the water company in NYC is saying that she
owe's them $26,000 for a water bill that stretches a couple of years.
I said to myself. " how the hell can someone accumulate som much in a
water bill?" Well she says that her water bill is saying $3000 every 3
months in water usage. That is crazy??!! The Water company has sent
people out there several times and one even said that the Empire State
Building doesn't use that much in water in 3 months. They clearly know
that something is wrong; they haven't even found a leak, yet they want
my mom to pay the bill anyway.

Is that legal? Knowing that something is wrong but they can't find
what is wrong but telling the consumer they still have to pay the bill.
She said that they did find a minor leak but it was a drip in one of
the toliets, but it wasn't enough to cause the high monthly bill.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article .com,
wrote:

My mom informed me that the water company in NYC is saying that she
owe's them $26,000 for a water bill that stretches a couple of years.
I said to myself. " how the hell can someone accumulate som much in a
water bill?" Well she says that her water bill is saying $3000 every 3
months in water usage. That is crazy??!! The Water company has sent
people out there several times and one even said that the Empire State
Building doesn't use that much in water in 3 months. They clearly know
that something is wrong; they haven't even found a leak, yet they want
my mom to pay the bill anyway.

Is that legal? Knowing that something is wrong but they can't find
what is wrong but telling the consumer they still have to pay the bill.
She said that they did find a minor leak but it was a drip in one of
the toliets, but it wasn't enough to cause the high monthly bill.

This can't be a real posting. The water company or a plumber
that you hire can tell if water is flowing or not. If the
water is flowing, it has to be going somewhere. If it isn't
flowing, then the meter is bad. A water company will typically
put a new meter head on if there is any question about its
accuracy.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house

writes:
My mom informed me that the water company in NYC is saying that she
owe's them $26,000 for a water bill that stretches a couple of years.
I said to myself. " how the hell can someone accumulate som much in a
water bill?" Well she says that her water bill is saying $3000 every 3
months in water usage. That is crazy??!! The Water company has sent
people out there several times and one even said that the Empire State
Building doesn't use that much in water in 3 months. They clearly know
that something is wrong; they haven't even found a leak, yet they want
my mom to pay the bill anyway.

Is that legal? Knowing that something is wrong but they can't find
what is wrong but telling the consumer they still have to pay the bill.
She said that they did find a minor leak but it was a drip in one of
the toliets, but it wasn't enough to cause the high monthly bill.

That's pretty insane.

You need to get through the first level telephone answering drones and
get to someone empowered to make logical decisions and determine what
has gone wrong.

If all due diligence to get through to a sane thinking person fails,
this would be a great story to troll in front of a local news station
if any of your local stations has one of those "trouble shooter" or
consumer advocate reporters that identify stupid crap consumers have
to deal with it, and punches throughthe bureaucracy to get a sane
result.

Another option is to find your state's public utility watchdog group
(public utilities commission of new york or whatever?) and see what
help they can give. Surely there's a process there, but I would be
curious to see how quickly a lot of media exposure might change the
water company's tune.

Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

And how could this bill stretch a couple of years? If it's $3000 a
qtr, she should have noticed it 2 years ago, long before it got to
$26K. Even if it went unpaid, one would think the water would have
been shut off for non-payment long ago.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
ups.com...

John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

NYC doesn't shut off the water for nonpayment. Some unpaid bills are in the
millions.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On 21 Dec 2006 02:34:20 -0600, someone wrote:

Another option is to find your state's public utility watchdog group
(public utilities commission of new york or whatever?)....

Not at all relevant, because it is not a "utility company" serving the
public, it is the City's own water department.

Electric meter readings - tenths or hundredths? Ross Home Repair 11 June 1st 19 05:34 PM
Strange leccy meter readings! Philip Thompson UK diy 4 March 2nd 06 12:42 PM
gas meter readings dave UK diy 7 January 18th 05 12:58 PM
Electric meter: Siemens S2AS: taking readings [email protected] UK diy 3 December 23rd 04 12:17 PM
Does having an Expansion Tank on your Water Heater make the water meter move? Cameron Home Repair 6 July 3rd 04 02:21 AM