Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Insurance to pay mortgage if you get laid off?

Hi I just got a house and a 30 year mortgage. I've been inundated by
advertisements in the mail from insurance companies looking to sell me
a policy that will pay my mortgage for 6 months if I get fired. This
actually sounds like a good idea to me but I've never heard of these
companies and they sound shady, like they will find some reason no to
pay me if I did get fired. Is this kind of insurance legit? Are there
legit companies selling it? Thanks.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article , says...
writes:

Hi I just got a house and a 30 year mortgage. I've been inundated by
advertisements in the mail from insurance companies looking to sell me
a policy that will pay my mortgage for 6 months if I get fired. This
actually sounds like a good idea to me but I've never heard of these
companies and they sound shady, like they will find some reason no to
pay me if I did get fired. Is this kind of insurance legit? Are there
legit companies selling it? Thanks.

As for unemployment inusrance for your mortgage... If you are in a
high risk industry and in danger of being laid off and would be facing
a LONG job search, and th ehousing market is crap, then maybe it'd be
some risk mitigation that'd be worth it to you. For most folks, the
old standby of having 6 months of salary in the bank is a more
effective use of the $ for the insurance.

Also, if you're in a position covered by unemployment, could you make
your mortgage payment relying on what you're likely to receive in
unemployment compensation? Lots of people have taken out mortgages with
such high payments that they couldn't get by on unemployment, but if you
were conservative in your mortgage choice, you have less to worry about
in unemployment.

For those facing longer unemployment, if you have some equity built up,
you could also consider a cash-out refinance to cover your unemployment
expenses. Not a great situation to be in, but what's the probability
you'll need it vs. the certainty of paying mortgage unemployment
insurance every month?

On a related note, anyone familiar with foreclosure? How much slack
do mortgage companies generally give folks to overcome such problems
and get behind on their payments? i.e. in a real scenario where
you can't make your payments, do mortgage companies rush into
foreclosure, or will they give you several months to get back into a
job situation etc? I've fortunately never known anyone that's been
through that.

It varies a lot by company, location, and creditor. Some companies will
give you a lot of slack if you have a good credit history and fall on
hard times. Others will move fairly quickly if you're a marginal risk
to begin with and they want to stem further losses.

If you have good credit and have some equity in your home, it can be
cheap insurance to open a home equity line of credit while you're
employed, and keep it as a reserve for hard times that deplete your
savings. If the hard times are temporary, you can borrow your mortgage
payments from your HELOC, as long as you have the self-discipline to pay
it back when you have money again.

Disclaimer: not a home finance expert, just familiar with various ways
clients of mine have dealt with prolonged unemployment.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

writes:

Hi I just got a house and a 30 year mortgage. I've been inundated by
advertisements in the mail from insurance companies looking to sell me
a policy that will pay my mortgage for 6 months if I get fired. This
actually sounds like a good idea to me but I've never heard of these
companies and they sound shady, like they will find some reason no to
pay me if I did get fired. Is this kind of insurance legit? Are there
legit companies selling it? Thanks.

Yeah they're legit by and large. insurance companies will sell
insurance on damn near anything they can hedge a bet on. Mortgage
protection insurance is something I'm offered every damn month by my
mortgage company. For death, I think it's silly -- you have life
insurance for that, and if you don't, whoever owns the house after
you're gone can do the normal thing and sell it to get out from under
the mortgage. The beneficiary of mortgage insurance is the mortgage
company further reducing their own risk.

As for unemployment inusrance for your mortgage... If you are in a
high risk industry and in danger of being laid off and would be facing
a LONG job search, and th ehousing market is crap, then maybe it'd be
some risk mitigation that'd be worth it to you. For most folks, the
old standby of having 6 months of salary in the bank is a more
effective use of the $ for the insurance.

Never forget that if it weren't profitable for the insurance company,
it wouldn't be offered, so it's genreally wise to only insure against
things that'd financially ruin you or cause a huge huge impact to your
family.

On a related note, anyone familiar with foreclosure? How much slack
do mortgage companies generally give folks to overcome such problems
and get behind on their payments? i.e. in a real scenario where
you can't make your payments, do mortgage companies rush into
foreclosure, or will they give you several months to get back into a
job situation etc? I've fortunately never known anyone that's been
through that.

Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:43:39 -0700, someone wrote:

Do you realize you can double your payments...

Not if he's unemployed.

Do you realize that if you pay cash, you have it all paid for the
first day? But how many people can do that?