Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default insurance renewal lapse ripoff?

I received a renewal for my home owner's insurance. It says if I don't
renew, the insurance expires at date. If I pay after date, insurance
would resume, but there is no coverage between date until the time I pay.

In other words, if I send in payment 10 months after date, I would get 2
months of insurance for one year of premium. Obviously no one in their right
mind would do this -- most people would just start a new policy -- unless
for some reason you become uninsurable and renewal is the only solution.

Another business with a similar policy is costco membership. If your
membership expires and you don't use costco for 10 months, when you go back
to use it, you pay a one year membership for a "retroactive" renewal,
meaning you get two more months to use.

Shouldn't there be some law against this type of ripoff?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"peter" writes:

I received a renewal for my home owner's insurance. It says if I don't
renew, the insurance expires at date. If I pay after date, insurance
would resume, but there is no coverage between date until the time
I pay.

That's typical.

Think about fraud. Someone buys a year of insurance pays for it,
the 2nd year they don't pay on time but instead plan to wait 11 months
to pay it. A loss happens in month 6. Now, you're the insurance
company--would you be excited to pay out a 50k fire loss now that dead
beat 6months late customer finally paid for his insurance now tha the
had a loss?

In other words, if I send in payment 10 months after date, I would get 2
months of insurance for one year of premium. Obviously no one in their right
mind would do this -- most people would just start a new policy -- unless
for some reason you become uninsurable and renewal is the only
solution.

Correct.

Another business with a similar policy is costco membership. If your
membership expires and you don't use costco for 10 months, when you
renewal, meaning you get two more months to use.

Shouldn't there be some law against this type of ripoff?

We needn't legislate common sense and it isn't a ripoff.

If you're late enough renewing your costco membership, use common
sense and purchase a new membership vs renewing the old.

And don't expect to be insured if you aren't prompt with insurance
payments. That's one bill you absolutely positively want to pay on
time.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/