Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Jim Jim is offline

Default time to boycott the oil companies

Really. It's high time we stop acting like helpless victims of corporate
greed.

If American consumers would agree to boycott the oil companies for three
days at a time -- no purchase of oil products nationwide -- that would send
a message that would be heard. Start by doing it once a month. And then,
if need be, do it twice a month, until they understand that we're not going
to just keep paying and paying outrageous prices.

About the only thing that will get the oil companies' attention is American
consumers shutting off the flow of money.

Growing up in Houston, and working as a young adult in corporate sales,
where I mingled with plenty of oil people, I know that every time the price
of oil jumps up, lots of the "big guys" in offices and divisions all around
the country get bonuses and wage increases. I’m all for any business making
a decent profit in order to succeed and survive, but the big oil companies
have gone way beyond all that.

What makes me angry is that they do this at the expense of the hard working
men and women of America. We pay all the bills for the oil companies. We
put up the money for every expense account, pay for all the pensions, foot
the bill for every vacation, every huge office building, every new gas pump.

We, the consumer, pay it all. And yet the big guys just keep jacking
everything up, sky high. You should see how they live. You should see the
cars they drive, the money they blow on offices, the money just wasted for
the sake of wasting it. Instead of jacking prices up and out of all
proportion, let them lay off some of the hundreds of big guys that do little
more than sit around or golf all afternoon. Why make the little guys pay,
pay, and pay some more, when too many average households can hardly buy gas
just to keep working? Let the big guys go out and find a real job.

Exxon, Conoco, Shell, and all the rest have plenty of oil reserves to work
with. They are just playing the game, and the news media jumps right in.
I've seen enough of the maps to know that we don't need to stand around
hoping for better pricing from other countries. We have plenty of oil to
carry us well beyond the day when we no longer need it.

And that's part of the whole picture. Oil companies know the days are
numbered, as more and more people turn to alternative sources of energy.
And they want to get all the money out of us that they can -- even if it
means breaking the little guys.

Boycott oil products. Do it as a nation. Do it in numbers big enough to
remind big corporations that we pay the bills, and we know it.

Remember: We hold the purse strings. It's high time we use them. We either
boycott now or wait until we can't afford to drive to work anymore.

Jim

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Jim wrote:
If American consumers would agree to boycott the oil companies for three
days at a time -- no purchase of oil products nationwide -- that would send
a message that would be heard.

No it wouldn't, because before and after the 3 days, everyone would
compensate by buying the amount of gas that would have been consumed
during those 3 days. The only way is if everyone actually eliminated
gas consumption for those 3 days and didn't make up for it. That means
no one drives at all. But businesses would never do it.

Here's a somewhat related article:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Bucky wrote:
Jim wrote:
If American consumers would agree to boycott the oil companies for three
days at a time -- no purchase of oil products nationwide -- that would send
a message that would be heard.

No it wouldn't, because before and after the 3 days, everyone would
compensate by buying the amount of gas that would have been consumed
during those 3 days. The only way is if everyone actually eliminated
gas consumption for those 3 days and didn't make up for it. That means
no one drives at all. But businesses would never do it.

Here's a somewhat related article:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

Yeah, just shows you the lack of economic knowledge and even common
sense guys like Jim are working with.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Jim wrote:
Really. It's high time we stop acting like helpless victims of corporate
greed.

If American consumers would agree to boycott the oil companies for three
days at a time -- no purchase of oil products nationwide -- that would send
a message that would be heard. Start by doing it once a month. And then,
if need be, do it twice a month, until they understand that we're not going
to just keep paying and paying outrageous prices.

Jim

So just buy they same amount you would have 3 days later? Every time
the gas goes up some brainless fool comes up with this thing.

snip the remainder as anyone who puts that out isn't worth reading

Harry K

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Jim wrote:

Boycott oil products.

Yeah, but do it by buying a car that gets 50mpg, not by buying an SUV.
Conserve. Insulate your home. Use less energy.
Adjusting your purchase around some arbitrary set of 3 days does zippo.

Jeez, what a bunch of morons.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:03:15 -0600, someone wrote:

If American consumers would agree to boycott the oil companies for three
days at a time -- no purchase of oil products nationwide -- that would....

That would give 'em helluva big sales on the 4th day!

Idiot spammer.

If he really thinks this will work, then he is more stupid than evil.