Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default dishonest Lender?

In article , "Clark W. Griswold, Jr." writes:
(Sharon) wrote:

I'm curious how you were able to do that? I always insist too, but am
always ignored or rebuffed. Do you tell them that the transaction will be
cancelled if you don't get the paperwork?
(Last year I closed on a house purchase where this happened. I simply
could NOT get them to give me the final true cash amount I needed to bring, in
order to complete the closing. They kept telling me to just bring a check for
the amount in the GFE. The settlement agent did a double-take when she saw
that our check was over $1,000 MORE than the final amount we needed to pay. We
were lucky it was that way and not $1000 under! Still, refund check in hand,
I was not amused.)

I just politely informed the closing agent that I wasn't going to spend two
hours reading documents in the title office and said that I knew they had to be
prepared ahead of time anyway, so please fax or email them to me. She wasn't
real happy, but when I repeated the request, she agreed.

Oh, I think you were lucky then. In my case, I told them that I knew
the GFE was simply an estimate and I wanted to bring the *correct* amount to
the table. They just acted like I was being anal and unreasonable and kept
claiming that they didn't have the final paperwork. I had my agent also
calling... right up until the hour before closing and got the same stupid
answer.
When I asked them what if I bring too much money, they said they'd just
write me a refund check and they do it all the time, no problem. When I asked
what if I didn't bring *enough* and they lamely said I'd just have to write
another check for the difference and shrugged me off.
Compounding my worry was the fact that our closing appt was at 4pm, an
hour after the banks closed. Since we had no way of knowing the actual amount,
for all I knew, we'd have to postpone closing until the next day so I could go
back to the bank and shuffle more money around and get another check. They
could care less.
I guess my advise to the OP is to do as much research as possible and
make sure you're ahead of the game, but don't be surprised when even the most
reputable lender (and settlement agent) treats you like dirt.

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"