Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Fan doesn't cool loft

I put a powerful 20" fan in the loft of my house, and I leave
the door to the loft open, yet the loft does not seem to get any cooler.

Any suggestions?

Cannot put AC in the loft.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Howard Kaikow wrote:
I put a powerful 20" fan in the loft of my house, and I leave
the door to the loft open, yet the loft does not seem to get any cooler.

Any suggestions?

Cannot put AC in the loft.

A fan sitting inside a room isn't going to cool the room. It's pupose
is to create a breeze, which makes it feel cooler. The only way a fan
will cool a room is if it is set up so that it can draw cooler air, if
it is cooler outside, into the house.

It's impossible to give suggestions on this very limited info.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
ups.com...
A fan sitting inside a room isn't going to cool the room. It's pupose
is to create a breeze, which makes it feel cooler. The only way a fan
will cool a room is if it is set up so that it can draw cooler air, if
it is cooler outside, into the house.

I had hoped to blow the hot air out of the loft.
Perhaps. I need to reposition the fan so that it blows directly at the
staircase leading up to the loft?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Howard Kaikow wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
A fan sitting inside a room isn't going to cool the room. It's pupose
is to create a breeze, which makes it feel cooler. The only way a fan
will cool a room is if it is set up so that it can draw cooler air, if
it is cooler outside, into the house.

I had hoped to blow the hot air out of the loft.
Perhaps. I need to reposition the fan so that it blows directly at the
staircase leading up to the loft?

Keep in mind, hot air rises. You won't have a lot of luck blowing air
out of the loft down the stairs. Besides blowing against the natural
flow, make-up air has to come from somewhere (preferably cooler) to
replaced the air blown out, if you want any circulation to occur.

Your better bet, is to place the fan in a window of the loft opposite
from the open door and blow the air out, thus drawing cooler air up the
stairwell from downstairs to replace the hot air exhausted from the
room. This assumes that there is a window or other opening in which to
place the fan, and that the opening you place the fan in is "tight"
enough to restrict airflow back in to the room, which would "short
circuit" the desired airflow.

That should get you started. Look at the situation (loft, stairwell,
downstairs) as a "system" not just an isolated room.

Randy

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Randy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Keep in mind, hot air rises. You won't have a lot of luck blowing air
out of the loft down the stairs. Besides blowing against the natural
flow, make-up air has to come from somewhere (preferably cooler) to
replaced the air blown out, if you want any circulation to occur.

Your better bet, is to place the fan in a window of the loft opposite
from the open door and blow the air out, thus drawing cooler air up the
stairwell from downstairs to replace the hot air exhausted from the
room. This assumes that there is a window or other opening in which to
place the fan, and that the opening you place the fan in is "tight"
enough to restrict airflow back in to the room, which would "short
circuit" the desired airflow.

That should get you started. Look at the situation (loft, stairwell,
downstairs) as a "system" not just an isolated room.

THe problem is that this is a condo and I do not believe that we are allowed
to put fans in the loft windows, nor even an AC.
Because the ceiling is the roof.

Not to mention that the windows are angled, so there could be problems with
rain.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Don't mean to be a smart ass, but as someone has already mentioned,
"heat rises" so your best option may be to stay out of the loft during
hot weather.

To me, "loft" meant the space is basically a three sided room with the
fourth side having a half wall or banister overlooking the downstairs.
If this is the configuration all a ceiling fan will do is move around
warm ari.

There are two options that come to mind for cooling the loft. The
first is to close off that fourth wall, either with a solid wall or
with glass if you're sold on the view, then use one of those ventless
room air conditioners. It's going to kick up your electric bill,
they're expensive, and you have to empty the condensation reservoir
regularly, which will be a pain if there's no bathroom upsairs.

The other option, and the feasability depends entirely on the layout
of your condo and how much you're willing to spend, is to install a
vertical duct inside a wall that has openings at floor level
downstairs and at ceiling level in the loft. This won't be as
effective as the air conditioning, but it will help. The hot air at
loft ceiling height will push into the duct and feed out at floor
level, which will pull some amount of cooler air into the loft.
Obviously, the larger the vent, the more effective. But again, it's
not cheap. A small quiet fan inside the duct will increase
efficienty, but it won't make the loft as cool as downstairs.

I'm surprised your whole condo isn't air conditioned. Or maybe it is
and I'm assuming it isn't, based on your question. Too bad Florida
has such mild winters. Lofts are cozy in the wintertime where the
weather is cold..

CF