Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Possible to buy a mower WITHOUT a bagger?

I've been looking at buying a new mower lately

It seems impossible to buy one without an attached
bagger

I don't want nor need a bagger

Why is bagging such a big deal any more? I don't
remember people ding that 30 years ago. Just cut the
grass and let clippings fly where they will.

Any models to buy without bagger? Advice?
Posted to misc.consumers.house

My push reel mower doesn't have a bag.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
GWB

On 30 Jun 2006 12:46:23 -0700, wrote:

My push reel mower doesn't have a bag.

Neither does my John Deere. G

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
writes:

I've been looking at buying a new mower lately

It seems impossible to buy one without an attached
bagger

I don't want nor need a bagger

Why is bagging such a big deal any more? I don't
remember people ding that 30 years ago. Just cut the
grass and let clippings fly where they will.

Any models to buy without bagger? Advice?

I don't think bagging is any more or less of a big deal than it was
years ago. But a mower without a bag as an option at least is seen as
a piece of crap, so marketers generally won't let one out to the
showroom without the feature.

That said, I rarely use my bagger on my Sears mower. I purposely
bought one that was actually a mulcher. I run it as a mulcher
(i.e. sans bag) most of the time. If the grass gets too long, it is
nice to have the bag as a fallback when mulching 4-5" grass just won't
do.

Mulching is considered beneficial as it returns the moisture of hte
clippings back to the lawn.

Don't go to the big-box, go to the farm supply or ma'n'pa hardware. Most
have a stamped chassis entry-level model w/o a bag. Of course, it also has a
skinny uncomfortable handle and cheap wheels that will wear out quickly, but
so it goes. I use a mulcher myself, which has a bag option, but no side
discharge, which I kinda miss for those after-a-road-trip yard cuttings.

aem sends...

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Harry K

ameijers wrote:
"Todd H." wrote in message ...
writes:

[...]

I prefer the rear discharge types as you don't have a bag hanging out
there in the way. My Hondas (2) have the option of mulch (bag off,
door closes), bag, or side discharge (deflector clips in place of bag.

Harry K

Posted to misc.consumers.house
mrsgator88

wrote in message
I've been looking at buying a new mower lately

It seems impossible to buy one without an attached
bagger

I don't want nor need a bagger

Why is bagging such a big deal any more? I don't
remember people ding that 30 years ago. Just cut the
grass and let clippings fly where they will.

Any models to buy without bagger? Advice?

10 years ago I bough a B&D corded electric, and it came without a bag.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

mrsgator88 wrote:
wrote in message
I've been looking at buying a new mower lately

It seems impossible to buy one without an attached
bagger

I don't want nor need a bagger

Why is bagging such a big deal any more? I don't
remember people ding that 30 years ago. Just cut the
grass and let clippings fly where they will.

Any models to buy without bagger? Advice?

It's not hard to find models without bag. I just took a quick look at
the Honda website and they have a couple. Also, many of the models may
come with a bag, but many offer the option of using it without the bag
as a mulcher, side discharge, etc. The bag likely isn't a big
component of the cost of the whole thing, so if I found one I liked
that supported mulching, for example, I would buy it and just use it
that way.

IMO, for most lawn use, mulching is the way to go. My Honda supports
bagging, but it didn't come with a bag.