Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
schwnj

Default Removing concrete tile backer?

Does anyone have any experience removing concrete backer board? I'm
remodeling a bathroom and my tub surround is ceramic tile on top of
concrete backer board, and the backer is attached to drywall. I can't
seem to get the tiles off of the concrete, so I'm wondering what the
best way to proceed is. Should I try to remove the whole thing at once?
Is the concrete board likely attached to the studs, or just the
drywall? I'd apprecate any help I can get.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers

"schwnj" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone have any experience removing concrete backer board? I'm
remodeling a bathroom and my tub surround is ceramic tile on top of
concrete backer board, and the backer is attached to drywall. I can't
seem to get the tiles off of the concrete, so I'm wondering what the
best way to proceed is. Should I try to remove the whole thing at once?
Is the concrete board likely attached to the studs, or just the
drywall? I'd apprecate any help I can get.

Sawzall, a crowbar, and a BFH. If you are gutting anyway, best to go down to
the studs. Why on earth did they put the board up over drywall? Bet the
drywall is all mushy by now. While you have the walls open, good cheap
opportunity to make any needed plumbing upgrades, and make sure there is
insulation around the tub, the better to avoid cold butt syndrome,
especially if it is against an outside wall. Also a good time to add
blocking, if needed, around the tub edge, at the middle seam line, and at
the point your new backer board will transition to greenboard above the wet
line. The more solid the wall, the more crack-resistant the new tile will
be.

aem sends....

Posted to misc.consumers.house
schwnj

Thanks for the advice! I will be beefing up the insulation, but not
because of the cold--I live in Phoenix and the bathroom is on a
western-facing wall. With a pounding sun in 115 degree heat, that wall
gets pretty toasty.

ameijers wrote:
ups.com...