DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How many coats of primer should be used on the exterior of an old house? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/164695-how-many-coats-primer-should-used-exterior-old-house.html)

[email protected] June 5th 06 02:42 AM

rob June 5th 06 12:09 PM

How many coats of primer should be used on the exterior of an old house?

On 4 Jun 2006 18:42:39 -0700, "
wrote:

How many coats of primer should be used on the exterior of an old house?

I think you will need to give more info before you get a legit answer
but I have heard of one or two coats in general. I'm no paint guru
tho but had a dad in the trades growing up and observed him.

You probably can go to a paint store and ask them. I'm sure it
depends on your prep, material to be painted, climate, quality / type
paint used, color before / after and maybe how you apply the paint
(brush, spray, etc.). Perhaps I missed something but I'd expect these
are the type of questions an informed person will want to know before
giving an answer (I'm not one of them).

Banty June 5th 06 01:42 PM

How many coats of primer should be used on the exterior of an old house?

In article .com,
says...

How many coats of primer should be used on the exterior of an old house?

One, unless there is some reasons that the primer is being absorbed into the
siding material. Primer is for priming the surface, not coverage. What does
the old house have on it?

Banty