Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
John Keyser

Default Energy use by freezers in garage

I'm wondering if anyone knows of guidelines for determining how much
(extra) energy a freezer is likely to use when in a hot garage.

We "inherited" an older (probably from 1980s) freezer that we've been
keeping in our garage. Note: this is Texas - it gets awfully hot out in
the garage (90 is typical, better in the winter, of course). We're now
hooked on having the extra freezer space, but the energy usage is not
what we'd like (draws ~300W all the time, and ~500W when the compressor
is on). Unfortunately, we don't know how much of the energy usage is
due to it being an older, less efficient freezer, and how much of it is
due to just being in a hot environment, where it has to run the
compressor more often.

We're considering buying a newer, more energy-efficient, freezer but
only if it would save us significantly on energy costs. I expect the
"energy use guidelines" in newer freezers assume it's being kept in a
cooler environment, so I don't expect it's a reliable measure of what
we'd expect to use. Does anyone know how I might determine what the
"real" energy use for these might be, for my situation.

Thanks for any advice.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Murray Peterson

http://www.retrothing.com/2005/09/ultra_lowcost_e.html

--
Murray Peterson

Posted to misc.consumers.house
John Keyser

Murray Peterson wrote:
John Keyser wrote in :

Does anyone know how I might determine what the
"real" energy use for these might be, for my situation.

http://www.retrothing.com/2005/09/ultra_lowcost_e.html

Thanks. I have something similar already (a Kill-A-Watt meter), and
it's awfully useful. I know what my current freezer is using. But,
what I'm trying to figure out is what I might expect a _new_ freezer to
run at - i.e. how close will the energy use guidelines it gives on the
product information sheet be to the actual energy use in my rather hot
garage. Obviously, I can't measure it with a meter, since I'd have to
first buy and install it in my garage.

Thanks for any advice.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Murray Peterson

John Keyser wrote in
:

Murray Peterson wrote:
John Keyser wrote in
:

Does anyone know how I might determine what the
"real" energy use for these might be, for my situation.

http://www.retrothing.com/2005/09/ultra_lowcost_e.html

Thanks. I have something similar already (a Kill-A-Watt meter), and
it's awfully useful. I know what my current freezer is using. But,
what I'm trying to figure out is what I might expect a _new_ freezer
to run at - i.e. how close will the energy use guidelines it gives on
the product information sheet be to the actual energy use in my rather
hot garage. Obviously, I can't measure it with a meter, since I'd
have to first buy and install it in my garage.

This paper is pretty good (see figure 5):
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/Bldg/pubs/refrig/index.htm

--
Murray Peterson
Email:
Posted to misc.consumers.house
John Keyser

Murray Peterson wrote:
John Keyser wrote in
:

Murray Peterson wrote:

John Keyser wrote in
:

Does anyone know how I might determine what the
"real" energy use for these might be, for my situation.

http://www.retrothing.com/2005/09/ultra_lowcost_e.html

Thanks. I have something similar already (a Kill-A-Watt meter), and
it's awfully useful. I know what my current freezer is using. But,
what I'm trying to figure out is what I might expect a _new_ freezer
to run at - i.e. how close will the energy use guidelines it gives on
the product information sheet be to the actual energy use in my rather
hot garage. Obviously, I can't measure it with a meter, since I'd
have to first buy and install it in my garage.

This paper is pretty good (see figure 5):
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/Bldg/pubs/refrig/index.htm

That's excellent! Thanks a lot.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Am I the only one here wondering how this freezer can be using 300W
when the compressor is not running, and 500W when it is? That sure
doesn't sound right.