Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Nobody

Default Question about REMODEL (OLD WORK) electrical box...

Hi, I recently had a built in entertainment center installed. Obviously
there is going to be some wiring and electrical going in it. In order to
make it look "professional", I ran all the cables inside the wall before the
unit was installed and made up all the snap-in decora inserts I needed.
After the entertainment center was installed, I put in an "old work" /
"remodel" triple gang electrical box with the back cut off (since there are
a LOT of wires going into that box, but nothing electrical).

Anyways, all seemed to be going well, but as anyone whos ever tried to
install decora style inserts, its a pain in the ass to get everything all
level and flush with the cover plate. The box is in as far as it can go, and
I snapped the "ears" or "tabs" off the decora items so I can screw them down
a hair deeper, but they are still not deep enough to be flush with the wall
plate.

This is the blue style plastic remodal box...

Are there any tricks to being able to sink it or the decora items deeper?
The only idea I've come up with is to get a dremel and grind away the depth
I need where the decora inserts screw to the box, but wanted to see if there
were any other suggestions before I went to town on this...

I probably need to gain about an 1/8" of depth.