Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default venting bath fan to outside from attic...

The 2nd floor bathroom fan vents into the attic. (WRONG, I know.)
I've been in the attic, and I see that I could either:

vent to an outside wall
or
vent out the roof

this is what complicates deciding:
1) venting to the outside wall means running a duct some 20+ feet to
the outside wall. Once there, someone needs to get up on a ladder and
install the outside ventcap, some 26 feet up off the ground.

2) venting out the roof would mean (maybe?) cutting a hole in the roof,
and getting up there and so forth. I'm not keen on cutting holes in my
nice roof, if I don't have to!

Question;
I have existing roof vents that vent the attic passively. Could I run
a duct TO one of those roof vents? If the vent diameter was larger
than the fan ducting diameter, I could still get some venting of the
attic via that roof vent. But, if the ducting is the same size, then
I've lost one roof vent....

suggestions?