DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stocking up for emergencies (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/146141-stocking-up-emergencies.html)

CJ February 23rd 06 06:26 PM

Stocking up for emergencies

Maybe this belongs in some survivalist newsgroup, but I figure I'm more
likely to get rational answers in the consumer-oriented newsgroups. In
any event.... In case there is some major crisis, and power/water,
etc., are not available for some time, I am trying to stock up on a few
basic necessities. So, at this point, two main questions:

1. I've purchased some bottled water. I live in a condo, so I don't
have a large space, no special refrigerator or freezer to store it in.
(I'm talking enough water here to last for a week or two!) I'm just
leaving it in the containers, tucked away under a table, away from
sunlight. My question is, how long does bottled water stay okay?
Months? Years?

2. What would folks recommend as the best kind of food to stock up on
that could keep a man adequately nourished for a couple of weeks, again
with no heat or electricity available? Canned tuna? (I think I'd get
sick of that pretty quickly.) Some kind of cereal? Trail mix? Other
suggestions?

Commends and suggestions are appreciated. FYI, I'm only aiming for a
week or two supply. I figure if things aren't back in shape after that
much time, we're all screwed anyway....

CJ

D. Gerasimatos February 23rd 06 06:50 PM

Stocking up for emergencies

In article .com,
CJ wrote:

1. I've purchased some bottled water. I live in a condo, so I don't
have a large space, no special refrigerator or freezer to store it in.
(I'm talking enough water here to last for a week or two!) I'm just
leaving it in the containers, tucked away under a table, away from
sunlight. My question is, how long does bottled water stay okay?
Months? Years?

2. What would folks recommend as the best kind of food to stock up on
that could keep a man adequately nourished for a couple of weeks, again
with no heat or electricity available? Canned tuna? (I think I'd get
sick of that pretty quickly.) Some kind of cereal? Trail mix? Other
suggestions?

Here is what the SF Chronicle recommends for earthquake preparedness:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...hive/ready.dtl

Dimitri

Anthony Matonak February 23rd 06 07:01 PM

CJ wrote:
My question is, how long does bottled water stay okay?
Months? Years?

They have expiration dates stamped on the bottles. They should be good
up to that date. Typically this is years. I've found that the bottles
don't have perfectly sealed caps though so, depending on where they are
stored, they might turn a little skunky within months. I'd recommend
rotating the stock every 6 months but that's just me.

2. What would folks recommend as the best kind of food to stock up on
that could keep a man adequately nourished for a couple of weeks, again
with no heat or electricity available? Canned tuna? (I think I'd get
sick of that pretty quickly.) Some kind of cereal? Trail mix? Other
suggestions?

You can buy small butane stoves for around $20. These are as close to
no-brainer emergency stoves as I've ever found. Propane camp stoves are
another alternative but are a little more complex.

Emergency food would be any food that will keep without refrigeration
or freezing. This means canned and dry food mostly. Only stock what you
eat because you'll need to replace the food periodically and the best
way to do that is to eat it and buy more.

You might try learning how to cook basics like rice and beans. With
the addition of a little seasoning and some misc other stuff you can
eat pretty well.

You should also stock some multi-vitamins in with your emergency
supplies. It's cheap insurance against a slightly unhealthy diet for
a short period of time. You might want to get vitamin C by itself as
fresh fruit might be hard to come by in a total disaster.

Anthony

Speedy Jim February 23rd 06 07:29 PM

CJ wrote:

Maybe this belongs in some survivalist newsgroup, but I figure I'm more
likely to get rational answers in the consumer-oriented newsgroups. In
any event.... In case there is some major crisis, and power/water,
etc., are not available for some time, I am trying to stock up on a few
basic necessities. So, at this point, two main questions:

1. I've purchased some bottled water. I live in a condo, so I don't
have a large space, no special refrigerator or freezer to store it in.

SNIP

I wondered what to do for water storage, not just for
drinking, but washing and toilet flushing as well.
I was thinking in terms of a giant 50 Gal storage tank.

Instead I built some shelves in the garage against one wall.
All the way to the ceiling. Each time we are ready to
discard yet another 1 Gallon plastic jug, it gets
filled with tap water and goes on the shelf and not to
the dump/recycle.

If you're well-organized, you can even set up a FIFO
replenishment scheme. g

Jim

Rod Speed February 23rd 06 07:43 PM

Anthony Matonak wrote:
CJ wrote:
[...]

No need for just 1-2 weeks.

It's cheap insurance against a slightly unhealthy diet for a short period
of time.

No big deal for just 1-2 weeks.

William Souden February 23rd 06 08:04 PM

Stocking up for emergencies

Rod Speed wrote:

No big deal for just 1-2 weeks.

Which happens to be the interval in your welfare payments,

[email protected] February 23rd 06 08:13 PM

"CJ" wrote:

Maybe this belongs in some survivalist newsgroup, but I figure I'm more
likely to get rational answers in the consumer-oriented newsgroups. In
any event.... In case there is some major crisis, and power/water,
etc., are not available for some time, I am trying to stock up on a few
basic necessities. So, at this point, two main questions:

1. I've purchased some bottled water. I live in a condo, so I don't
have a large space, no special refrigerator or freezer to store it in.
(I'm talking enough water here to last for a week or two!) I'm just
leaving it in the containers, tucked away under a table, away from
sunlight. My question is, how long does bottled water stay okay?
Months? Years?

If you live in a condo, the better solution is to leave the area
before the distaster, or immediately after. Elevators might not work,
toilets may not flush, etc.. The first week after a disaster is a
PITA, and it is a great time for a vacation elsewhere.

If you still plan on staying;
As noted by another poster, there is an expiration date of bottled
water. Distilled water will last indefinitely, but the plastic in the
bottles won't. Leave the milk jug type containers of bottled water
around for a few months and you'll probably have at least one leaker
peeing on your shelves and floor. Transfer distilled water to 2 liter
polycarbonate soda bottles for longer bottle life.

2. What would folks recommend as the best kind of food to stock up on
that could keep a man adequately nourished for a couple of weeks, again
with no heat or electricity available? Canned tuna? (I think I'd get
sick of that pretty quickly.) Some kind of cereal? Trail mix? Other
suggestions?

We keep a full pantry anyway. When Wilma took out the power for 11
days, we used a generator and batteries for power and kept the
refrigerator going. It was three weeks or more before we bothered to
go shopping.

You'll want comfort food, with some of that high-calorie food.
Chances are good that you'll be a lot more active during that period.
Canned sodas, whatever you normally eat, and some boxed/canned foods,
cookies, juices are some starters. If you plan on needing help, stock
up on beer for the helpers just before the disaster. If you rotate
the food in your pantry, just increase the amount you store.

Commends and suggestions are appreciated. FYI, I'm only aiming for a
week or two supply. I figure if things aren't back in shape after that
much time, we're all screwed anyway....

Nah. We could go a couple of months if needed without skipping a
meal. If you shop for the best food prices, you build up a larder and
save money at the same time. Just remember that if you have a large
stock of food and let people know, "friends" will come out of the
woodwork after the disaster. Have some available for them -its only
neighborly, but keep some hidden away for yourself so you don't get
suckered into the same situation you are trying to avoid.

The item you'll miss most is hot water. A single burner propane camp
stove and a couple of small propane canisters are a safe way to heat a
meal and some hot water for a sponge bath.

CJ

user February 23rd 06 08:55 PM

On 23 Feb 2006 10:26:17 -0800, CJ wrote:
Maybe this belongs in some survivalist newsgroup, but I figure I'm more
likely to get rational answers in the consumer-oriented newsgroups. In
any event.... In case there is some major crisis, and power/water,
etc., are not available for some time, I am trying to stock up on a few
basic necessities. So, at this point, two main questions:

1. I've purchased some bottled water. I live in a condo, so I don't
have a large space, no special refrigerator or freezer to store it in.
(I'm talking enough water here to last for a week or two!) I'm just
leaving it in the containers, tucked away under a table, away from
sunlight. My question is, how long does bottled water stay okay?
Months? Years?

At least. Just rotate it out and replace the ones you use in
daily life.

2. What would folks recommend as the best kind of food to stock up on
that could keep a man adequately nourished for a couple of weeks, again
with no heat or electricity available? Canned tuna? (I think I'd get
sick of that pretty quickly.) Some kind of cereal? Trail mix? Other
suggestions?

You can pick up a 12-meal case of MRE's on Ebay for about $60 or less.
If you get the "real", government-spec ones, they include flameless heaters,
as well. Each meal is something like 2500 calories or more, so they'll
be more than enough to keep you going. They'll include an entree,
seasonings, dessert, etc.

The advantage of MRE's is that they're rated for up to 10 years
when stored properly, and they're actually reasonably tasty, though
I wouldn't want to live on them. ;-) My family rotates them out
by using one or two every few months for hiking trips, etc.

- Rich

[email protected] February 23rd 06 09:42 PM

Speedy Jim wrote:
Each time we are ready to
discard yet another 1 Gallon plastic jug, it gets
filled with tap water and goes on the shelf and not to
the dump/recycle.

If you're well-organized, you can even set up a FIFO
replenishment scheme. g

I've done this, ten 1 gallon numbered jugs of water. Every week I use
a couple to water potted plants, then refill them when done.
A propane barbecue (to heat water) and a camping shower (2 gallon bag
with nozzle) are also available.
Still need to practice draining my water heater though.

user February 23rd 06 10:40 PM

Anthony Matonak wrote:
CJ wrote:

My question is, how long does bottled water stay okay?
Months? Years?

They have expiration dates stamped on the bottles. They should be good
up to that date. Typically this is years. I've found that the bottles
don't have perfectly sealed caps though so, depending on where they are
stored, they might turn a little skunky within months. I'd recommend
rotating the stock every 6 months but that's just me.

Seltzer water usually is cheaper than the bottled spring water, at least
in the single sizes. Frequently safeway puts their seltzer water on sale
at 6 twelve ounce cans for $.99. Th only thing that beats that is gallon
"milk" jugs, and the plastic in those does not seem as durable.

The can I just bought and finished has a 2007-01-29 date on the bottom,
but I'm betting the carbonic acid would keep this can safe to drink for
quite a few years beyond that.

Don K February 23rd 06 11:54 PM

Stocking up for emergencies

"CJ" wrote in message
oups.com...

Commends and suggestions are appreciated. FYI, I'm only aiming for a
week or two supply. I figure if things aren't back in shape after that
much time, we're all screwed anyway....

There was some discussion on Meet the Press about bird flu, and
that if there ever was a pandemic outbreak in your area, it would be
a good idea to be able to just stay home for 3 or 4 weeks and avoid
exposure until it blows over.

Presumably in that situation, there may still be services operating
such as water, power, etc. and many things may still be functioning,
but you would be better off if you had enough supplies and didn't have
to leave your house.

In such a situation, I wouldn't worry about being bored with what
I had to eat.

Don

mike wilcox February 24th 06 12:04 AM

CJ wrote:

[...]

The mormons have reccomendations for just such scenario's. I don't know
if they have a web site or not, but one of the local members gave me a
photocopied hand out that had a whole range of options (eg. food &
water-family of four- per month)

Zuke February 24th 06 02:08 AM

Stocking up for emergencies

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, D. Gerasimatos wrote:

In article .com,
CJ wrote:

1. I've purchased some bottled water. I live in a condo, so I don't
have a large space, no special refrigerator or freezer to store it in.
(I'm talking enough water here to last for a week or two!) I'm just
leaving it in the containers, tucked away under a table, away from
sunlight. My question is, how long does bottled water stay okay?
Months? Years?

2. What would folks recommend as the best kind of food to stock up on
that could keep a man adequately nourished for a couple of weeks, again
with no heat or electricity available? Canned tuna? (I think I'd get
sick of that pretty quickly.) Some kind of cereal? Trail mix? Other
suggestions?

Don't forget to stock up your guns and ammo too because in a real
emergency you are going to need them.

Andy February 24th 06 02:22 AM

Zuke wrote:
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, D. Gerasimatos wrote:

Don't forget to stock up your guns and ammo too because in a real
emergency you are going to need them.

Yep, in a real emergency you will probably be able to trade the gun for
a can of soup.

Andy

Andy February 24th 06 02:29 AM

CJ wrote:

2. What would folks recommend as the best kind of food to stock up on
that could keep a man adequately nourished for a couple of weeks, again
with no heat or electricity available? Canned tuna? (I think I'd get
sick of that pretty quickly.) Some kind of cereal? Trail mix? Other
suggestions?

Go out and buy a little camping stove that runs on white gas, and then
stock up on things like pasta, bottled or canned marinara, mac and
cheese in a box, rice, canned chile. Whatever you like to eat that
doesn't require refrigeration. No point eating cold tuna, or other
foods you don't particularly like, for two weeks just because the
utilities went out.

Eggs will easily keep two weeks without refrigeration. Same with
margerine. Bread should keep. Cheese is fine for a couple weeks. Mayo
keeps for a long time without refrigeration (just be sure to only put a
clean spoon in it). No need to throw that stuff out just because the
refrigerator dies.

Andy

Lou February 24th 06 02:35 AM

Stocking up for emergencies

"CJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

No heat or electricity? Are you in a climate where you won't freeze to
death if the disaster comes in the middle of winter? If you're not, then
maybe you need to consider a small kerosene heater and a few gallons of
fuel - provided, of course, you have a safe place to store the fuel.

I'd suggest getting something like cans of sterno so you can do some minor
cooking type stuff - you can eat cold beans out of a can, but you'd probably
prefer to eat them hot.

As to what to get, I'd suggest canned food, and mostly basic stuff in small
cans - one or two servings (no refrigeration after all). Beans, spam, tuna,
stuff like canned ravioli, canned vegetables, canned fruit. Dry cereal,
powdered milk. Coffee or tea. Something along the lines of Bisquick. At
least some kinds of margarine keep a long time without refrigeration. Bread
doesn't keep real well, but crackers do. So do many kinds of cheese.
Cooking oil. Sugar and salt. Real honey keeps just about forever.
Candles, or some kind of oil lamp, and lamp fuel. Matches or cigarette
lighters. Dried fruit, like prunes, raisons or apricots. Fresh eggs ought
to last a couple of weeks even without refrigeration. Potatoes and other
root vegetables keep well, but many need to be cooked. For a treat,
chocolate bars or hard candy. Don't forget, what goes in must also go out -
toilet paper and whatever additional hygene products you may require. A
couple of hefty books that you've always been meaning to read but never
quite got around to. A bottle of aspirin. Soap. Disinfectant, band-aids.
If your tastes run that way, some beer, wine, or more potent stuff. Tobacco
if you indulge. Radio and batteries to run it. Ditto flashlight. If you
take prescription meds, be sure to have enough on hand to get you through.

Oh yeah, and money.

Think of taking a week long camping trip, out in the woods somewhere, no
recourse to a store. What would you need, what would you want? Maybe none
of this stuff is on your list of favorites, but there's nothing like being
hungry to make things taste great. If you're lucky enough to have a little
warning, fill the bathtubs, sinks, and all the pots and pans you have with
water from the tap - you can use it to drink, cook, sponge bath, and flush
the toilet.

[email protected] February 24th 06 03:07 AM

Stocking up for emergencies

"Dottie" wrote:

Someone
else I talked to said the small ones were too hard to start and not
very good.

Hard to start usually means bad gas. Make sure the gas is fresh, and
keep a spray can of starting fluid (ether) or choke cleaner on hand.

The 5KW generators allow you to run a room AC, and if you are adept
enough, hot wire the heating element in a water heater. I would avoid
2 cycle generators on principle. It is also wise to figure that your
generator may crap out, and have a backup for your backup.

Gary Heston February 24th 06 03:39 AM

Stocking up for emergencies

In article .com,
CJ wrote:
[ ... ]
2. What would folks recommend as the best kind of food to stock up on
that could keep a man adequately nourished for a couple of weeks, again
with no heat or electricity available? Canned tuna? (I think I'd get
sick of that pretty quickly.) Some kind of cereal? Trail mix? Other
suggestions?

[ ... ]

Any of the heat-and-serve canned soups or stews are excellent for this
situation--you don't have to heat them, that just improves the flavor.

Cheese that is sealed in wax will keep a longer time than otherwise.

Gary

--
Gary Heston I don't need an iPod, I have an IQ.

A worthwhile endeavour:
http://www.thebrestcancersite.com/cg...jects/CTDSites

Gary Heston February 24th 06 03:47 AM

Andy wrote:
CJ wrote:

2. What would folks recommend as the best kind of food to stock up on
that could keep a man adequately nourished for a couple of weeks, again
with no heat or electricity available? Canned tuna? (I think I'd get
sick of that pretty quickly.) Some kind of cereal? Trail mix? Other
suggestions?

Go out and buy a little camping stove that runs on white gas, and then
stock up on things like pasta, bottled or canned marinara, mac and
cheese in a box, rice, canned chile. Whatever you like to eat that
doesn't require refrigeration. No point eating cold tuna, or other
foods you don't particularly like, for two weeks just because the
utilities went out.

Make sure the mac-n-cheese you select doesn't require milk.

Eggs will easily keep two weeks without refrigeration. Same with
margerine. Bread should keep. Cheese is fine for a couple weeks. Mayo
keeps for a long time without refrigeration (just be sure to only put a
clean spoon in it). No need to throw that stuff out just because the
refrigerator dies.

Preparing a menu in advance would be a good idea. That way, you can ensure
variety and not end up looking at a pile of stuff and saying "what do I
fix now?".

Gary

Gary Heston February 24th 06 03:58 AM

Stocking up for emergencies

In article .com,
Dottie wrote:
I live in hurricane prone area and have to keep emergency stock during
the summer. For those with generators - I have a question. Is it
worth while to buy one of the less expensive generators? One woman I
know bought one last year when there was a sales tax holiday and said
Lowes and Home Depot had them for about $250. They were just powerful
enough to run refrigerator and perhaps one or two lights. I would
really love to know that I could keep the refrigerator going. Someone
else I talked to said the small ones were too hard to start and not
very good. The person who has the small one hasn't had to use it
yet...we were lucky last year. Would love to hear from someone who has
actual experience with small ones. Thanks.

Add up your necessary loads--refrigerator, freezer, microwave, a few
lights, small radio--and get a generator rated at least 25% higher than
the total of those loads. 50% higher would be better.

Like anything else, if you load a generator near its' limit, it's not
going to last long.

Be sure to plan for fuel storage.

Gary

Rod Speed February 24th 06 04:40 AM

Stocking up for emergencies

Gary Heston wrote
Dottie wrote

I live in hurricane prone area and have to keep emergency stock
during the summer. For those with generators - I have a question.
Is it worth while to buy one of the less expensive generators? One
woman I know bought one last year when there was a sales tax holiday
and said Lowes and Home Depot had them for about $250. They were
just powerful enough to run refrigerator and perhaps one or two
lights. I would really love to know that I could keep the
refrigerator going. Someone else I talked to said the small ones
were too hard to start and not very good. The person who has the
small one hasn't had to use it yet...we were lucky last year. Would
love to hear from someone who has actual experience with small ones.

Add up your necessary loads--refrigerator, freezer, microwave,
a few lights, small radio--and get a generator rated at least 25%
higher than the total of those loads. 50% higher would be better.

You dont necessarily need to run them all at once. No problem
with leaving the fridge and the freezer to idle while you are cooking.

And it makes more sense to cook with gas than a microwave in that
situation.

And the radio is irrelevant power use wise.

Like anything else, if you load a generator
near its' limit, it's not going to last long.

Oh bull****.

Be sure to plan for fuel storage.

Antipodean Bucket Farmer February 24th 06 06:44 AM

Stocking up for emergencies

In article
.com,
says...
Zuke wrote:
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, D. Gerasimatos wrote:

Don't forget to stock up your guns and ammo too because in a real
emergency you are going to need them.

Yep, in a real emergency you will probably be able to trade the gun for
a can of soup.

You mean like a real emergency that involves looters and rioters
approaching to clean out and destroy your home and business? And
maybe beat/rape/kill you as punishment for daring to have more
resources than them?

Witnessing (IN PERSON, *not* on teevee) portions of the 1992
Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, was a permanent attitude
adjustment for me.

--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com/

D. Gerasimatos February 24th 06 06:53 AM

Andy wrote:
Zuke wrote:
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, D. Gerasimatos wrote:

Don't forget to stock up your guns and ammo too because in a real
emergency you are going to need them.

Yep, in a real emergency you will probably be able to trade the gun for
a can of soup.

Probably not, but you can probably trade bullets for all kinds of things.

Dimitri

[email protected] February 24th 06 06:58 AM

Don K wrote:

There was some discussion on Meet the Press about bird flu, and
that if there ever was a pandemic outbreak in your area, it would be
a good idea to be able to just stay home for 3 or 4 weeks and avoid
exposure until it blows over.

Presumably in that situation, there may still be services operating
such as water, power, etc. and many things may still be functioning,
but you would be better off if you had enough supplies and didn't have
to leave your house.

I don't know. Would you go to work at your job in the power station or
the water treatment plant in the case of a bird flu pandemic? I
suppose it depends on the fatality percentage...

Antipodean Bucket Farmer February 24th 06 07:17 AM

Don K wrote:

There was some discussion on Meet the Press about bird flu, and
that if there ever was a pandemic outbreak in your area, it would be
a good idea to be able to just stay home for 3 or 4 weeks and avoid
exposure until it blows over.

Presumably in that situation, there may still be services operating
such as water, power, etc. and many things may still be functioning,
but you would be better off if you had enough supplies and didn't have
to leave your house.

I don't know. Would you go to work at your job in the power station or
the water treatment plant in the case of a bird flu pandemic? I
suppose it depends on the fatality percentage...

I dunno, either... I suppose it depends on if *I* am likely to be
*in* that fatality percentage. As opposed to a bunch of morons
who just couldn't be bothered with having a few torches and
bottles of water on hand.

Antipodean Bucket Farmer February 24th 06 07:22 AM

Stocking up for emergencies

In article ,
says...
In article .com,
Andy wrote:
CJ wrote:

2. What would folks recommend as the best kind of food to stock up on
that could keep a man adequately nourished for a couple of weeks, again
with no heat or electricity available? Canned tuna? (I think I'd get
sick of that pretty quickly.) Some kind of cereal? Trail mix? Other
suggestions?

Go out and buy a little camping stove that runs on white gas, and then
stock up on things like pasta, bottled or canned marinara, mac and
cheese in a box, rice, canned chile. Whatever you like to eat that
doesn't require refrigeration. No point eating cold tuna, or other
foods you don't particularly like, for two weeks just because the
utilities went out.

Make sure the mac-n-cheese you select doesn't require milk.

NO mac-cheese really requires milk. It may mention milk on the
instructions on the side of the box, but that is really just a
recommendation. When I was young, I ate literally hundreds of
boxes of mac-cheese while violating the milk specification.

If you are really picky, try adding some powdered milk.

Or, on a frugal note, buy regular pasta in bulk, plus grated
cheese and powdered milk.

Antipodean Bucket Farmer February 24th 06 07:38 AM

Stocking up for emergencies

In article
.com,
says...
I live in hurricane prone area and have to keep emergency stock during
the summer. For those with generators - I have a question. Is it
worth while to buy one of the less expensive generators? One woman I
know bought one last year when there was a sales tax holiday and said
Lowes and Home Depot had them for about $250. They were just powerful
enough to run refrigerator and perhaps one or two lights. I would
really love to know that I could keep the refrigerator going. Someone
else I talked to said the small ones were too hard to start and not
very good. The person who has the small one hasn't had to use it
yet...we were lucky last year.

That is a big issue right there. Do NOT wait until an emergency
before you use these things. Test it out right now. Do a
rehearsal. Then you can find and fix problems before you are in
a crisis. That includes all disaster/emergency preps, like a
small gas stove, and so forth.

Also understand that, in an emergency, you may have to
compromise, and might not be as comfortable or confident. And
you may have to prioritise. If you have a limited supply of
petrol, then you may have to choose between lights vs fridge.

max February 24th 06 08:43 AM

Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

I don't know. Would you go to work at your job in the power station or
the water treatment plant in the case of a bird flu pandemic? I
suppose it depends on the fatality percentage...

I dunno, either... I suppose it depends on if *I* am likely to be
*in* that fatality percentage

There are certain jobs in society -- utilities, police, fire, medical,
energy, and rail/truck transport that are actually important. You take a
job like that, you should be ready to do it no matter what, period.

Good rule of thumb: will looking out for number 1 cause someone else to die?
If yes, then don't.

Just my deeply considered superior opinion.

..max

Rod Speed February 24th 06 09:18 AM

wrote:
Don K wrote:

There was some discussion on Meet the Press about bird flu, and
that if there ever was a pandemic outbreak in your area, it would be
a good idea to be able to just stay home for 3 or 4 weeks and avoid
exposure until it blows over.

Presumably in that situation, there may still be services operating
such as water, power, etc. and many things may still be functioning,
but you would be better off if you had enough supplies and didn't
have to leave your house.

I don't know. Would you go to work at your job in the power station
or the water treatment plant in the case of a bird flu pandemic?

Plenty did the last time it happened.

I suppose it depends on the fatality percentage...

Its much more complicated than that.

And there is nothing to stop the monkeys running those plants
from just holing up there till the death rate drops anyway.

Rod Speed February 24th 06 09:20 AM

max wrote:
In article ,
Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

I don't know. Would you go to work at your job in the power
station or the water treatment plant in the case of a bird flu
pandemic? I suppose it depends on the fatality percentage...

I dunno, either... I suppose it depends on if *I* am likely to be
*in* that fatality percentage

There are certain jobs in society -- utilities, police, fire, medical,
energy, and rail/truck transport that are actually important. You
take a job like that, you should be ready to do it no matter what,
period.

Never works like that in the real world.

Good rule of thumb:

Nope.

will looking out for number 1 cause
someone else to die? If yes, then don't.

Just my deeply considered superior opinion.

Pity it aint how the real world actually works.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately February 24th 06 01:50 PM

Stocking up for emergencies

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
CJ wrote:

[...]

when i worked in food service, i was told that mayo would keep at room
temp as long as you didn't refrigerate it first. if you refrigerate it, it
must
be kept refrigerated.

mad hatter® February 24th 06 01:55 PM

Stocking up for emergencies

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:35:05 -0500, "Lou"
wrote:

"CJ" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Don't forget a non-electric CAN OPENER for all those cans just in
case.

mad hatter® February 24th 06 02:05 PM

Stocking up for emergencies

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 03:58:50 -0000, (Gary Heston)
wrote:

In article .com,
Dottie wrote:
[...]

Gary, why is that? What good is the limit then?

Also, based on your suggestion (tho I might quibble with some details
but lets assume you're right), since most of these items are generally
pulling the same load in most homes (unless you have more than one
refrig, etc..) then what would you recommend for the size of generator
for the average home user (for emergency use only)? Of course the
suggestion about smaller generators being hard to start is worth
looking into. What size is consider small tho?

William Souden February 24th 06 03:15 PM

Stocking up for emergencies

Rod Speed wrote:tage...

Its much more complicated than that.

And there is nothing to stop the monkeys running those plants
from just holing up there till the death rate drops anyway.

Welfare boy detests those who work.

The Real Bev February 24th 06 08:55 PM

wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:
Each time we are ready to
discard yet another 1 Gallon plastic jug, it gets
filled with tap water and goes on the shelf and not to
the dump/recycle.

If you're well-organized, you can even set up a FIFO
replenishment scheme. g

I've done this, ten 1 gallon numbered jugs of water. Every week I use
a couple to water potted plants, then refill them when done.

Assuming no plants to water or difficulty in carrying gallon jugs, what about
putting a teaspoon of bleach into each bottle? Or half a teaspoon?

A propane barbecue (to heat water) and a camping shower (2 gallon bag
with nozzle) are also available.
Still need to practice draining my water heater though.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Subscribe today to "Fire in the Hole - the Quarterly Journal
for Incinerator Toilet Enthusiasts" -- Andrew

John Smith February 24th 06 10:02 PM

Stocking up for emergencies

"Dottie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Someone
else I talked to said the small ones were too hard to start and not
very good. The person who has the small one hasn't had to use it
yet...

You addressed the problem, and the solution in the same paragraph.

Ever try to start a lawn mower / snowblower that hasn't been run in years
and just "put away" in the shed? Very hard compared to one that's always
running, or properly maintained.

You're supposed to run up your genset once every month or so. Up to full
operating temperature. Good for the engine, (and the generator?). If you
know there's a storm coming, dig it out and fire it up beforehand, so you
know it will work if you need it.

Store it with fresh gas with stabil or the like added to the tank, and
always use fresh gas (I try to rotate my lawnmower / snowblower stock, and
dump the gas in the car every month or so.)

Once I learned from my mistake with old gas in my snowblower, and I started
adding stabil to the blower and the mower at the end of the season, they
always start first pull the next season. These cheap gensets will have
similar engines, and are likely as easy to start if treated properly.

Dottie February 25th 06 12:40 AM

Stocking up for emergencies

We have a gas grill with burner that we can use for cooking and to heat
water for washing dishes. If we were in an emergency situation, we
would skip the showers.

Just want to be sure the refrigerator will be hooked up and perhaps
some floor fans....to help circulate the air.

We've got battery powered lights and small TV. But we learned we could
get by on very little two years back. The houses across the street
still had power and we were able to run extension cords over here for
refrigerators. Sure was a blessing. We weren't in the path, but got
mostly power outages.

John A. Weeks III February 25th 06 03:04 PM

"Dottie" wrote:

We've got battery powered lights and small TV. But we learned we could
get by on very little two years back. The houses across the street
still had power and we were able to run extension cords over here for
refrigerators. Sure was a blessing. We weren't in the path, but got
mostly power outages.

You are lucky to have such good neighbors. It was nice of them
to share what they had (in this case, sharing power).

A few years ago, a very strong but geographically very small
storm ripped through the south metro area of Minneapolis. Most
people in the cities were totally unaffected, other than some
trees and limbs down. But for those people who were directly
in the path, many had to wait up to two weeks to get power
back. I could not imagine living for 2 weeks without power,
not in the summer at least. I'd have to check into a motel
just to get air conditioning.

What this made me realize that if people in the 15th largest
city in the US can go without power for 2 weeks, then if we
turely had something major happen, we would be totally screwed.
We would be on our own for at least a few weeks. Just like
what happened in the hurricane areas this past two years.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

AllEmailDeletedImmediately February 25th 06 07:56 PM

"The Real Bev" wrote in message

Speedy Jim wrote:
Each time we are ready to
discard yet another 1 Gallon plastic jug, it gets
filled with tap water and goes on the shelf and not to
the dump/recycle.

If you're well-organized, you can even set up a FIFO
replenishment scheme. g

I've done this, ten 1 gallon numbered jugs of water. Every week I use
a couple to water potted plants, then refill them when done.

Assuming no plants to water or difficulty in carrying gallon jugs, what
about putting a teaspoon of bleach into each bottle? Or half a teaspoon?

way too much.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/phepr/handbook/purify.htm

AllEmailDeletedImmediately February 25th 06 08:53 PM

Steps to select a generator 1/9

"Dottie" wrote in message
ps.com...
Would someone please tell me how to calculate how many appliances could
be run at once on x size generator? Do I need to know how many watts
the refrigerator uses or is it something else ... volts? And each fan?
I suppose I should know this, but I don't. I am saving these answers
in a Word file so I will know what to do when I need it later. Thanks.

Generac Generators

www.generac-portables.com

http://www.generac-portables.com/generators/index.cfm

Steps to select a generator:

1. Determine use

Use Preferred Features

Recreational Portable, Compact, Quiet for basic camping power. Minimal
electrical 5500 / 4000EXL needs.

Home / Emergency Reliable, Quiet, Enough power to run essential items, Long
run time on a 5500 / 4000EXL tank of gasoline. In general, service life is
not an issue.

7000EXL

Contractor Commercial Quality Engine, Reliable, Long Running, Pro Features
to 4000EXL /7000EXL handle the tough demands on the jobsite.

2. See selling features sheets usually found in store with the generators.

3. Determine the needed wattage and surge watts using the wattage worksheet
(found in store

with the generators). If you need to estimate the surge wattage of an item,
use rated

wattage x 2. If wattage/surge wattage needs come close to the max rated for
the generator, it is

strongly suggested that you get the next size up, especially if you've had
to estimate.

4. Make sure you have the proper type outlets for what you want to run.
120/240V-30A outlet

is needed to use an electric stove or dryer.

5. If you want to run electronic equipment, the 4000 and the 7000 both have
auto voltage

regulation. The 5500 does not.

6. Hardwired items (central htg/ac, hot water heater, furnace fan, and well
pump are examples)

cannot be run from a generator unless they have a power transfer system
installed (available at

www.generac-portables.com). If it doesn't have a plug, it's hardwired.

7. See the specifications sheet for side-by-side comparisons.

8. Understand the causes of hydro lock (too much oil); won't need to use the
full quart of oil that

comes with the generator. Keep extension cords to a max of 100ft and make
sure the gauge is

heavy enough.

9. Recommend the appropriate Power Transfer System to the home back-up user:

a. reliability: heavy duty components; permanently mounted to your home by
your electrician

b. convenience: no need for multiple extension cords; faster power
restoration; load manager

and meters inside home to easily transfer power to where you want it.

c. added safety: double insulation; prevents dangerous backfeed to utility
lines; all-weather

inlet box keeps connections dry.

10. Finally, make sure you have the basics:

a. Heavy Duty "Contractor Grade" outdoor extension cords; strips; converters

b. Gas can and gas

c. Engine oil

d. Flashlight and batteries

e. Fuel stabilizer - to keep gas fresh