Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Billy

Default Romex - Connect 12g to 14g on 20amp circuit OK?

I have recently replaced some lights and wired them with 14g Romex that
connects to a light switch that is wired with 12g Romex. I checked the
breaker and found it to be a 20amp switch/fuse. The house is old and
wiring is convoluted, so I really don't know what else in on this line.

Is this wiring schematic safe? allowable by codes?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Billy wrote:
I have recently replaced some lights and wired them with 14g Romex that
connects to a light switch that is wired with 12g Romex. I checked the
breaker and found it to be a 20amp switch/fuse. The house is old and
wiring is convoluted, so I really don't know what else in on this line.

Is this wiring schematic safe?

Unless someone plugs a device that draws 15A into the light or branches
off the 14ga wire for other feeds.

allowable by codes?

Heck no. I've pulled lots of wiring like this out of my house whenever I've
found it.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Billy

OK, so you are saying that if I know that nothing is wired from the 14g
I'm safe. However, I do not know what else branches off of the 12g that
feeds the light switch before it changes to 14g. This is not a problem?
What exactly happens when and if someone plugs a device that draws
15A into the light or branches off the 14ga wire for other feeds?

Posted to misc.consumers.house
John A. Weeks III

In article . com,
"Billy" wrote:

OK, so you are saying that if I know that nothing is wired from the 14g
I'm safe. However, I do not know what else branches off of the 12g that
feeds the light switch before it changes to 14g. This is not a problem?
What exactly happens when and if someone plugs a device that draws
15A into the light or branches off the 14ga wire for other feeds?

I think you understand how it works, and what the risks are.
The 12-ga can handle the full 20Amps, so that part is OK.
The 14-ga section is likely behind a light switch, so people
are not likely to tap off there. They are also not likely to
put in enough lightbulbs to draw more than a few amps.

If you are paranoid, you could swap out the 20A breaker with
a 15A breaker. That is far more standard for residential use.
If there are outlets on this 20A circuit, then by code, they
should be special outlets that accept a plug where one of the
prongs is 90 degrees turned from normal. As an aside, a 30Amp
plug should have both prongs turned 90 degrees from normal.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bill

It is a code violation and is not safe. If a fire resulted from this, I
doubt your insurance company would pay.

You should replace the wiring with 12 gauge *and* get an electrical permit
and have it inspected. Then you are covered on your insurance.

You should never mix wire gauges. A 15 amp breaker will protect 14 ga. wire,
but a 20 amp breaker will *not*. What people many times want to do is move a
breaker panel, then run 12 ga. to bridge the gap for everything. Well this
is not good, because someone may come along later and assume that all the
wiring in that circuit is 12 ga., then install a 20 amp breaker. So best to
keep all wiring the same ga.

"Billy" wrote in message
I have recently replaced some lights and wired them with 14g Romex that
connects to a light switch that is wired with 12g Romex. I checked the
breaker and found it to be a 20amp switch/fuse. The house is old and
wiring is convoluted, so I really don't know what else in on this line.

Is this wiring schematic safe? allowable by codes?

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Doug Miller

In article , "John A. Weeks III" wrote:

If there are outlets on this 20A circuit, then by code, they
should be special outlets that accept a plug where one of the
prongs is 90 degrees turned from normal.

You were ok prior to here, but this statement is incorrect. The NEC
explicitly permits the use of receptacles rated 15A on a 20A circuit.

--
Regards,