Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

ap

Default safe heater under $60

Hello,
We have a 2-story house and the cold air
is starting to blow here in north GA.

Is there a good, safe heater that we can
purchase for under $60 that has safety features
so if left running for long periods of time would
not burn, give off odors, etc ?

Looking for something lightweight that can
cover a large size family room and kitchen.

Thanks for any advice!!

Todd H.

"ap" writes:

Hello,
We have a 2-story house and the cold air
is starting to blow here in north GA.

Is there a good, safe heater that we can
purchase for under $60 that has safety features
so if left running for long periods of time would
not burn, give off odors, etc ?

Looking for something lightweight that can
cover a large size family room and kitchen.

Should be pretty easy to find. Safety requirements on this stuff are
pretty tight in the US. I've had a little 500-1500W variable ceramic
heater the size of a squared off football that's been doing a great
job for 14 years now and no sign of stopping, never any smell except
when unplugged abruptly without cooldown.

Any ceramic heater that's UL listed should be a good bet.

Quartz would be good for larger areas perhaps. There are TONS of
options.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Todd H.

Sandra Loosemore writes:

My personal preference is for the oil-filled radiator-type electric
heaters. The ceramic heaters are more compact and will heat up a room
more quickly, but they're noisy. If you're going to leave the heater
running for "long periods of time", heating up a room quickly is less
important, and quietness is more so. Because the radiator-type heaters
don't get too hot to the touch, they're also a good bet if you have
children or pets around.

That's a good point. I used to have one of these and it was very
quiet, however the lag between turn on and any noticeable heat was a
poor fit for my needs in the room I was using it in, and hte lack of a
fan made its coverage very disappointing.

But as for safety and wiht prolonged use, you've got a great point
about their efficacy.

I suspect the OP might be disappointed, however with one of them
covering an area as large as described.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/