Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Joy

Default Water Heater - top heats

Water Heater is a 30 gallon Montgomery Ward Seven Hundred Energy Saver
Glass Lined....wattage 240 volts AC....test press 300 psi work press
150 psi ... upper 5000 lower 5000.

I am so glad this forum exist, and hope someone can advise me of their
opinion on my situation.

The water heater (after many years of service) has stopped heating in
bottom part. Resulting in a supply--though limited of hot water--from
the top.

I speculate the bottom element may be out...or dip tube broken...etc.

Whatever the reason, here are my two questions...
1. I find that even though hot water is limited--it is hot! I can
fill bathtub about 1/3 maybe a little more to 1/2 (not quite) with
water suitable for bathing. Of course, I'd like more water in there
(until I get a repairman out)...and my question is this: Is it safe to
raise the thermostat on the upper tank a bit (what is max. advised) so
that I can have for time being more hot water available to mix with
cold so I can put more volume in tub? (I already know how to raise
thermostat on tank...have done that before just fine.) My concern is:
would that cause the upper element to burn out faster....any risk of
water heating to a point that could cause damage to tank?

and 2. It is an older model...always functioned well...when I am ready
to have it repaired, do you advise calling a repairman to repair it or
advisable to have a new one put in? (Decsription of tank above...has
not been drained in years.)

Thank you for whatever you can share with me.

Christine