Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

daslf

Default BBQ Grill clean?

When I barbeque (charcoal) I just put the grill on in the flames and scrub
it with a brush. Does it get clean enough that way or do I need to actually
wash it with Comet or something? That sure would be a hassle; I'm not even
sure where I'd do it.

Lucy

"daslf" wrote in message
When I barbeque (charcoal) I just put the grill on in the flames and scrub
it with a brush. Does it get clean enough that way or do I need to
actually wash it with Comet or something? That sure would be a hassle;
I'm not even sure where I'd do it.

Hi daslf,
Here's how I clean our grill.. I read it in a magazine years ago, and it
works great, and is so effortless, that I do it after every use.
Some people say the grill gets clean enough with just heat.. but frankly, I
don't want food debris outdoors to attract insects.
After the grill cools, I put it in a large garbage bag, and spray it with
some sudsing ammonia, that I keep in a spray bottle, just for this purpose.
Then, twist tie the bag and just leave it out on the patio overnight. Next
morning, I give it a rinse with the hose and put it back on the bbq. Very
rarely have I had to rub it with a brush after the overnight soak. And, I
don't know if you are concerned about such things, but I wear gloves while
doing this.
Hope this helps!
lucy

daslf

"Lucy" wrote in message
news

Hi daslf,

Here's how I clean our grill.. I read it in a magazine years ago, and it
works great, and is so effortless, that I do it after every use.
Some people say the grill gets clean enough with just heat.. but frankly,
I don't want food debris outdoors to attract insects.
After the grill cools, I put it in a large garbage bag, and spray it with
some sudsing ammonia, that I keep in a spray bottle, just for this
purpose. Then, twist tie the bag and just leave it out on the patio
overnight. Next morning, I give it a rinse with the hose and put it back
on the bbq. Very rarely have I had to rub it with a brush after the
overnight soak. And, I don't know if you are concerned about such things,
but I wear gloves while doing this.
Hope this helps!
lucy

Thanks for the reply. Are you using plain full-strength ammonia in the
bottle?

Luke

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:46:07 -0700, "daslf" wrote:

When I barbeque (charcoal) I just put the grill on in the flames and scrub
it with a brush. Does it get clean enough that way or do I need to actually
wash it with Comet or something? That sure would be a hassle; I'm not even
sure where I'd do it.

I assume you really mean "grill", not BBQ which is slow cooking with
low heat. Scrubbing the cooking grate over heat with a brass brush or
crumpled aluminum foil is more than sufficient. Ideally, it's easiest
and best to scrub the grate immediately *after* cooking. See, e.g.:
http://weber.com/bbq/pub/grillcare/care.aspx#charcoal. Any grilling
book will tell you the same. However, being lazy and impatient to chow
down I almost always scrub the grate immediately before cooking, while
the coals are heating up, then of course brush the grate with
vegetable oil before putting the food on. Relax. Grab a brew. And
happy grilling!

--
Luke
"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."
Lucy

"daslf" wrote in message
news

"Lucy" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, full strength, and the kind I use is the sudsing kind.
lucy