DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Snow Thrower - Yard Machine (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/121473-snow-thrower-yard-machine.html)

stoonfer September 19th 05 06:31 PM

Snow Thrower - Yard Machine

I've never owned a snow thrower and am buying my first one this year.
Home Depot has the Yard Machine 8HP Electric Start Snowthrower Model
31AS6FEE729 for $698. Can anyone give me a heads-up on this brand
good, bad, or otherwise?

krw September 19th 05 07:24 PM

In article .com,
says...
I've never owned a snow thrower and am buying my first one this year.
Home Depot has the Yard Machine 8HP Electric Start Snowthrower Model
31AS6FEE729 for $698. Can anyone give me a heads-up on this brand
good, bad, or otherwise?

Where do you live?

I bought the same model (I think) last January. It seems to be fairly
competent at its job. It's not the best machine out there, but the
price is/was right. This is my second snow thrower. The first, a 5HP
cheap Sears finally died (bearings wore out) after 12 winters, so I
bought the YM.

BTW, I've never started it using the electric start (power cord is
still tied to the frame). No need. One pull and it's off and running.

--
Keith

Bronco September 20th 05 03:12 PM

MTD is a very competent product. I think for the value, their 2-stage
is the best one built. Assuming you have a fair amount of snow, I
would not recommend a single stage and I would not recommend going any
less than the 8hp you mentioned --they clog and bog down in very heavy
snow. Consider shopping around and getting a 10hp.

Tecumseh engines are very good but it is very important that you do not
use cheap gas in them. Avoid BP gas!!!!

Electric start is very nice if you have a bad back like me.