DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Planning Siding Replacement (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/121367-planning-siding-replacement.html)

[email protected] September 18th 05 10:02 PM

Planning Siding Replacement

We're interested in replacing the wood siding on our two-story home.
We're considering fiber cement but are open to alternatives. The job
also included exterior lighting and possibly adding a door. We also
have two decks that obviously will come into play.

Should we just start calling contractors, or are there some
pre-planning steps we should take up front. Obviously a room-addition
requires plans, etc., but what about our project? Thanks.

John/Charleston September 21st 05 02:33 AM

On 18 Sep 2005 14:02:27 -0700, wrote:

We're interested in replacing the wood siding on our two-story home.
We're considering fiber cement but are open to alternatives. The job
also included exterior lighting and possibly adding a door. We also
have two decks that obviously will come into play.

Should we just start calling contractors, or are there some
pre-planning steps we should take up front. Obviously a room-addition
requires plans, etc., but what about our project? Thanks.

If you are happy with the configuration (window sizes, trim
sizes/styles, etc) of your current house then you probably don't need
to do any planning. Think about what the job will be like...workon
all sides of the house, possibly scaffolding and/or ladder setups...if
there'a any special plants, sculptures, etc that you want to
protect...you get the picture.
I just re-did one of mine with cement siding and am reasonably happy
with it.
Last thought, now's the time to think of adding insulation to the
walls if your house is lacking.

Good luck,
John

[email protected] September 23rd 05 06:13 AM

Here, adding a door or a window requires another building permit.
Ditto on insulation or housewrap, if you do do Tyvek make sure they do
it right.