Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

gary

Default new windows for new house advice

I will be ordering my window package for my new house shortly. The sales
guy has quoted on PVC triple pane with a wood jamb.

My question - should we go with the wood jambs or PVC jambs? Wood seems
like it means painting every few years, worrying about water condensation on
the wood etc.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Gary

Ron Peterson

gary wrote:
I will be ordering my window package for my new house shortly. The sales
guy has quoted on PVC triple pane with a wood jamb.

My question - should we go with the wood jambs or PVC jambs? Wood seems
like it means painting every few years, worrying about water condensation on
the wood etc.

What would you guys recommend?

Jambs are used to mount the window in the wall. Wood has better
insulation properties, so get wood windows with vinyl or metal exterior
cladding. Wood is going to have the best looking interior finish, so
varnished wood the interior except maybe in a bathroom or kitchen where
humidity and dirt are high.

--
Ron

Banty

In article . com, Ron Peterson
says...

gary wrote:
I will be ordering my window package for my new house shortly. The sales
guy has quoted on PVC triple pane with a wood jamb.

My question - should we go with the wood jambs or PVC jambs? Wood seems
like it means painting every few years, worrying about water condensation on
the wood etc.

What would you guys recommend?

Jambs are used to mount the window in the wall. Wood has better
insulation properties, so get wood windows with vinyl or metal exterior
cladding. Wood is going to have the best looking interior finish, so
varnished wood the interior except maybe in a bathroom or kitchen where
humidity and dirt are high.

Well, interior windows varnished vs. painted definately is a matter of taste.

Banty

gary

I think I'll go with wood and paint it white to match the trim

"Banty" wrote in message
In article . com, Ron
Peterson
says...