Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default CONFLICTING ADVICE: MILGARD VS POLYBAU REPLACEMENT WINDOWS

I'm replacing my 14 windows and 2 patio doors (all retrofit) and would
like your advice.

My neighbor (who is a general contractor for new construction) says
Milgard is the best hands down. He's never heard of Polybau or Atrium
(another line I was looking at) though ... so I am wondering if there's
enough basis for comparison. He knows a really reliable Milgard
installer
so if I went with M I wouldnt have to worry about shoddy work.

I went to ALLBRAND WINDOWS showroom in San Jose CA and looked at their
Polybau and Milgard samples ... and to my untrained eye ... Polybau
seems
sturdier and has 2 locks and a brass roller as opposed to the 1 lock
and
plastic roller Milgard. My sales rep says she's been replacing a lot of
leaking Milgards and that Atrium is an inferior product ... and I
forgot
to ask her why she's selling those lines in the 1st place. GRRR.

Is proper installation more important than picking the "right" window?
Would it be wise to buy Polybau and ask my neighbor's trusty Milgard
installer to install it? Would the Polybau warranty still be in effect
then??? And is argon gas necessary for Northern California???

Please offer any and all advice, ideas or anecdotes. This is $$$ and I
want to be informed.
SORRY 4 LONG POST. THANK YOU SO MUCH