Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Theron

Default Dewalt Screwgun Recommendations?

A buddy and I are almost ready to drywall my basement (abt 1500 sq ft
ceiling + walls = abt 110 sheets of 8' drywall, or fewer if we go 12').
I am leaning towards buying one of two Dewalt screwguns, the DW272 or
the DW260K. I have some questions, though:

1) I like the reviews of those guns, but neither one has an automatic
feeder. Am I going to regret hand feeding?

2) I can't tell what practical difference the guns have. The 272 has
0-4000 rpm, and a max fastner size of 8. The 260K has a case, 0-2500
rpm, and a max fastner size of 12.

3) Assuming I have 2-3 guys on site, is one gun enough?

Thanks

Josh

"Theron" wrote in message
A buddy and I are almost ready to drywall my basement (abt 1500 sq ft
ceiling + walls = abt 110 sheets of 8' drywall, or fewer if we go 12').
I am leaning towards buying one of two Dewalt screwguns, the DW272 or
the DW260K. I have some questions, though:

If you have 1500 sq. ft. to cover with 8' sheets, you need 47 sheets plus
waste. You planning on wasting more than you put up?

FC

Theron wrote:
A buddy and I are almost ready to drywall my basement (abt 1500 sq ft
ceiling + walls = abt 110 sheets of 8' drywall, or fewer if we go 12').
I am leaning towards buying one of two Dewalt screwguns, the DW272 or
the DW260K. I have some questions, though:

1) I like the reviews of those guns, but neither one has an automatic
feeder. Am I going to regret hand feeding?

If you never had one then the answer is probably not. It all depends on
how fast you want the job done. I had my 1300 sqf basement drywalled (
wife & kids helping) with only a drywall screw adapter on a drill. Not
the most efficient way to do the job but I wasn't in a hurry to get it
done anyway.

2) I can't tell what practical difference the guns have. The 272 has
0-4000 rpm, and a max fastner size of 8. The 260K has a case, 0-2500
rpm, and a max fastner size of 12.

The difference is probably in the torque it can deliver. More speed less
torque.

3) Assuming I have 2-3 guys on site, is one gun enough?

If you only have 2-3 person w/o a drywall lifter then one gun is enough.
If you rent a drywall lifter then more hands can be freed up for
screwing.

FC
Theron

Josh wrote:
"Theron" wrote in message
A buddy and I are almost ready to drywall my basement (abt 1500 sq ft
ceiling + walls = abt 110 sheets of 8' drywall, or fewer if we go 12').
I am leaning towards buying one of two Dewalt screwguns, the DW272 or
the DW260K. I have some questions, though:

If you have 1500 sq. ft. to cover with 8' sheets, you need 47 sheets plus
waste. You planning on wasting more than you put up?

Sorry, I have poor writing skills. I have 1500 sq ft of ceiling, plus
walls.

No

The thing I have found without a feeder (I have never used a feeder one, I
imagine its expensive to feed it) That the screws have lots of tiny, what I
call hairs, bits of metal. My finger tips are pretty chewed up, relatively
speaking. Goes with the territory I suppose.
ups.com...

Theron wrote:
1) I like the reviews of those guns, but neither one has an automatic
feeder. Am I going to regret hand feeding?

I don't. The huge labor savings is in the driving, not the feeding.

2) I can't tell what practical difference the guns have. The 272 has
0-4000 rpm, and a max fastner size of 8. The 260K has a case, 0-2500
rpm, and a max fastner size of 12.

IMHO, the one slower speed and more torque is better. It might not make too
much of a difference on the dry wall job, but I use mine for all sorts of
other things and the higher torque frequently comes in handy.