Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

kathy

Default what is the best siding for a ranch house in California?

I have a 20 year old house that has standard T&G wood siding that is
currently rotting and needs to be replaced. I was thinking of metal or
vinyl siding. Any thoughts on +/- of going with either, or is there a
better alternative altogether?

TIA

Stucco. $$$.

Dick

On 16 May 2005 11:00:38 -0700, "kathy"
wrote:

I have a 20 year old house that has standard T&G wood siding that is
currently rotting and needs to be replaced. I was thinking of metal or
vinyl siding. Any thoughts on +/- of going with either, or is there a
better alternative altogether?

TIA

If you have siding that is rotting, you have a moisture problem where
you live. I would use nothing but Hardie Planks for replacement.
They are cement based, and are resistant to moisture, bugs and fire.
http://www.jameshardie.com.au/AboutU...ct/AboutUs.htm I had one
home sided with it, and a close friend had a house built a couple of
years ago using Hardie siding. You really can't do better if you want
siding. Personally, I prefer stucco here in Arizona.

Steve

Definitley HARDI-PLANK or HARDI-PANEL. That fiber-cement is one tough
and durable material. Needs to be painted but takes and holds paint
very well. HARDI does not have any of the bad characteristics of
wood. I have removed my T-111 siding and replaced it all with HARDI
systematically over the last several years. From even up close most
people think that it is wood with the nice grain pattern it has.
Steve