Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Need new gas boiler for house - what brand? Is Slant Fin good?

Hello,

My gas boiler for my house is pooched and I need to replace it. I
thought I should get a Carrier, only because I have heard good things
about the brand in general.

I won't buy Lennox because I had a new Lennox furnace at my last house
and it was crap.

My prospective heating contractor said he recommends a "Slant Fin"
Galaxy. I don't know much about this brand. He said Carrier makes
great forced are systems but Slant Fin makes better Boilers, and
they've had problems with Carrier Boilers.

Does anyone have any experience with Slant Fin Boilers? Are they
better than Carrier?

He did say that Viessmann were the best but are overpriced.

Any advice??

THanks!

TAB Dude

Carrier and Lennox do not build thier boilers, they buy them and relabel.
If you have Nat. Gas or LP look at a High Efficieny boiler like a Munchkin
or Peerless Pinacle. Costs a little more to buy but worth it!

TAB Dude

stretch

Lennox boilers are actually made by Dunkirk Radiator in NY. Slant Fin
is an old reliable brand, so is Peerless. I see nothing wrong with
them. However the Viessmann is probably the best you can get. Saying
it is overpriced is like saying Mercedes Benz is overpriced. I never
heard a Mercedes Benz owner complain that he or she paid too much for
their car. It is hard to overprice quality.

Stretch

On 9 May 2005 18:32:29 -0700, someone wrote:

... Viessmann is probably the best you can get. Saying
it is overpriced is like saying Mercedes Benz is overpriced. I never
heard a Mercedes Benz owner complain that he or she paid too much for
their car. It is hard to overprice quality.

I disagree with you. You can indeed overprice quality. The
perception of quality can be subjective with consumer goods. What
about an engineered product, that due to higher quality would last 10%
longer but costs twice as much? Overpriced.

The Mercedes owners are a self-selected sample. They are people who
DID think the Mercedes was worth it. Maybe for the "quality" of
impressing the folks at the country club with how rich they were. Is
that the same as the "quality" of a boiler?

OTOH there are many more people who DON'T buy a Mercedes and think
that they are way overpriced for any addition in quality. And I'm one
of them. Yeah, I "could afford" a Mercedes (Mercedes definitely
agrees, they send me invitations all the time), but have not bought
one beause I think they are overpriced for what they could do for me.
(And BTW, I used to have a Porsche - bought new - ran it as a track
car in club events.)

Travis Jordan

v wrote:
OTOH there are many more people who DON'T buy a Mercedes and think
that they are way overpriced for any addition in quality. And I'm one
of them. Yeah, I "could afford" a Mercedes (Mercedes definitely
agrees, they send me invitations all the time), but have not bought
one beause I think they are overpriced for what they could do for me.

For the mass market Mercedes is now just like all the other American
cars. Crap.

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
.. .
v wrote:
OTOH there are many more people who DON'T buy a Mercedes and think
that they are way overpriced for any addition in quality. And I'm one
of them. Yeah, I "could afford" a Mercedes (Mercedes definitely
agrees, they send me invitations all the time), but have not bought
one beause I think they are overpriced for what they could do for me.

For the mass market Mercedes is now just like all the other American
cars. Crap.

Actually, its always been nothing but a German Chevy....or as in the new
case, a German Dodge.

Funny tho.....you say all the other American cars are crap....havent you
seen a Camry, or a M3?
Hint...built by Americans, imported to the rest of the world..

Travis Jordan

Oscar_Lives wrote:
DaimlerChrysler is based in Germany.

Bzzzt.
http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom...-0-0-0,00.html.

Vicki Szaszvari

Whew! Thanks. I feel better about my Jeep now.

Travis Jordan wrote:

Oscar_Lives wrote:

DaimlerChrysler is based in Germany.

Bzzzt.
http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom...-0-0-0,00.html.

Don Ocean

Oscar_Lives wrote:
"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
m...

wrote:

Funny tho.....you say all the other American cars are crap....havent
you seen a Camry, or a M3?
Hint...built by Americans, imported to the rest of the world..

Yeah, I know, Steve. I should have said "cars made by U.S. based car
manufacturers are crap", meaning those makers that are headquartered in
the U.S.. That would be Daimler-Chrysler, Ford, and GM.

DaimlerChrysler is based in Germany.

Made in Mexico... ;-p

Or maybe better I should have said "cars made by non-Japanese based
manufacturers are crap" since that would be more inclusive of the
situation.

Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Boiler TP valve problems? Linc Vannah Home Repair 9 May 8th 04 02:20 AM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 08:29 PM