Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Ed

Default Small or big tile

I am putting tile in a small bathroom. Is it better to use 1'X1' tiles or
6"X6"?

I was planning to use 1 foot tile but someone told me that smaller tile
makes small room look larger.

Thanks.

Clark Griswold

"Ed" wrote in message
I am putting tile in a small bathroom. Is it better to use 1'X1' tiles or
6"X6"?

I was planning to use 1 foot tile but someone told me that smaller tile
makes small room look larger.

Thanks.

We have 8" floor and 4" wall tile in a 5 x 8 bathroom and they look rather
nice.

I'd probably go with the smaller ones in a small room, but a lot it is
personal pref. Get a bunch of each, lay them out, see how it looks.

keith

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:54:44 -0700, trader4 wrote:

I'd probably go with the smaller ones in a small room, but a lot it is
personal pref.

Indeed. I did 12"x12" in my laundry room (a little less than 5'x8') and
it looks fine. I rather like the larger tiles, even in a small room. I
didn't think I would. I'm going to do the bathrooms (one is 3'x5'6") in
12" tiles, as soon as the weather gets a little nicer (the wet saw makes a
mess). Large tiles are much easier. ;-)

Get a bunch of each, lay them out, see how it looks.

The best advice.

--
Keith
Ed

wrote in message
oups.com...
Get a bunch of each, lay them out, see how it looks.

I knew that

Seriously, this is a very good advice. I'll go to Lowe's as soon as I post
this message.

Thanks

Banty

In article , Clark Griswold says...

"Ed" wrote in message
.. .
I am putting tile in a small bathroom. Is it better to use 1'X1' tiles or
6"X6"?

I was planning to use 1 foot tile but someone told me that smaller tile
makes small room look larger.

Thanks.

We have 8" floor and 4" wall tile in a 5 x 8 bathroom and they look rather
nice.

I have that commbination in that size bathroom and it looks very nice. On the
other hand, my original plan was for 1x1 tile on the floor and it would have
been nice with those, too. More traditional.

This one really is a matter of taste.

Banty

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:17:30 -0500, someone wrote:

I am putting tile in a small bathroom. Is it better to use 1'X1' tiles or
6"X6"?

"There is no debating matters of taste".

Its your bathroom, do as you like. The "better" tile is the one YOU
like better.

Both are sold and in use, and some people like one kind over the
other, so its not an obvious answer even if being done with the
justification of "resale". By the time you sell, who knows what the
fashion will be.

I have 1 INCH by 1 INCH tile in my bathrooms. I liked the look and
don't give a crap about how this very minor feature of the entire
house "effects resale". I have built 2 houses that I used the same
tile in. When I sold the other one, the tile was not an issue anyone
raised.

removing tile mastic from plaster walls Jane Home Repair 5 February 23rd 05 01:12 PM
Vinyl floor tile question(s) davefr Home Repair 7 December 13th 04 04:17 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Ceramic tile over ceramic tile Don Home Ownership 1 November 23rd 03 06:34 AM