Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Theron

Default Can I Wire a Light to Two Circuits?

I'm wiring the lights in my basement, and have one light (over a short
hall) that I would like to be one whenever either of the light runs on
either side of it are on.

*--* * *--*
| | | | |
S1 - * * -- X - * * - S2

In other words, if S1 and S2 are switches connected to independent
power runs, is there some device I can put at point "X" that will
accept power from either circuit without interconnecting them, and will
feed power to the light if either or both circuits are on? Thanks.

Doug Miller

In article .com, "Theron" wrote:
I'm wiring the lights in my basement, and have one light (over a short
hall) that I would like to be one whenever either of the light runs on
either side of it are on.

*--* * *--*
| | | | |
S1 - * * -- X - * * - S2

In other words, if S1 and S2 are switches connected to independent
power runs, is there some device I can put at point "X" that will
accept power from either circuit without interconnecting them, and will
feed power to the light if either or both circuits are on? Thanks.

It could be done with a relay, but if you have to ask, you probably don't have
the knowledge or expertise to do this safely - and there definitely are safety
issues involved.

A simpler, and safer, alternative would be to wire the middle light to two
three-way switches located next to the switches for each of the other two
lights. It would then be quite convenient (though not automatic) to turn the
middle light on (or off) at the same time as either of the others.

--
Regards,