DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   mice and rats- carpet cleaning (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/101410-mice-rats-carpet-cleaning.html)

anita April 3rd 05 06:31 AM

mice and rats- carpet cleaning

We've discovered that we have a rodent infestation in our newly purchased
home. Can anyone give me pointers about how to go about cleaning the house
?
We want to get professional carpet cleaners, but will that take care of
mice and rat droppings ? Is there any specific kind of professional
equipment we should look for when selecting a carpet cleaner ?

We have lots of droppings in the attic and the kitchen pantry.

I was wondering if a good steam cleaner (recommendations ?) would do the
job ?
Can I steam clean an attic ? Or is that a bad idea because of introducing
moisture into the air where there is exposed insulation .... What other
ways do I clean the attic.
The other alternative idea I have- getting disposable coveralls and a half
respirator with P100 filter and 10% bleach spray and a shopvac and cleaning
the attic.

How do you do heavy duty mice/rodent control.

Thanks much
anita

[email protected] April 3rd 05 05:31 PM

Ewwww. I would vacuum up everything I could, first, esp in the attic.
Steam will turn droppings into liquid droppings. I would not steam
clean the attic.

Another aspect is that there's a connection between your attic and
kitchen - the walls. You might want to cut open the drywall in a
couple places and see if they have nesting material or droppings in
them.

You might also consider small claims court; take lots of pictures
before cleaning.

Betsy April 3rd 05 06:57 PM

Be aware that mice carry Hansa virus, which can be fatal. It is inhaled.
You should really hire someone professional, and then I would indeed talk to
the home inspector or the real estate agent, and then go to an attorney!

scordelia April 3rd 05 08:26 PM

For long term control, get a cat.

Dantanna April 4th 05 02:20 AM

I would call an exterminator and see what they recommend. And I would not
invest in a steam cleaner. I would hire a profesional caprpet cleaner
instead. Also, your idea about shop vacing the attic is a good one. But
sometimes disturbing nasty stuff like that is opening a can of worms. If
there are droppings in the walls I wouldn't sweat it. They pretty much turn
to non-stinky dust after awhile. Just definately call a professional -

"Betsy" -0 wrote in message
Yes, sorry!

Caledonia April 4th 05 03:46 AM

"anita" wrote in message
[...]

Here's are two cites on how to avoid/clean up after deer mice.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/topics/hanta.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/h...c/stc_spot.htm

Bottom line IMO is *don't* vacuum. I think contacting an attorney is
out of line (ditto the real estate agent) -- I don't think they'd be
any better at setting mouse traps than you would :)

Caledonia

anita April 4th 05 05:47 AM

response inline

Here's are two cites on how to avoid/clean up after deer mice.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/topics/hanta.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/h...c/stc_spot.htm

Yep, I've looked at them, was just hoping to get some responses to my attic
mice question. I am going to do the 10% bleach thing.

I think contacting an attorney is
out of line (ditto the real estate agent)
snip

:) We were given a disclosure that the house has been previously treated
for rodents. I just did not realize there were any present currently.
Besides our agent(s) assured us that all houses next to the woods tend to
have some level of rodent activity.
I am still scared of the hanta virus thing, but have decided that if I
follow ALL the rules meticulously we might get rid of the rats/mice.
I talked to pest control people, they just set traps and the previous guy
who treated the house had gone and patched up all openings in the
crawlspcae. Perhaps the attic still needs some work. The guys that I talked
to did nothing, just said they'd put traps - no talk of doing an exclusion
at all inspite of asking for it repeatedly. They tried to sell me a plan
for $500 a year where they'd come in every 6 months or so any spray toxic
stuff around. Seemed to me the best way to deal with this problem is to be
VERY pro-active and thorough. If anyone has any mice related advice I'd
greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Anita

99windstar April 5th 05 06:21 AM

cats are great for mice but don't do well with rats. We have had rat issues
and had to revert to bait stations with poison blocks. Rats are gone!

"scordelia" wrote in message
oups.com...
For long term control, get a cat.