Electronics (alt.electronics)

Steve

From what I remember from the distant past lectures on power
electronics (which is shakey so could be confused); VA is volt-amps (K
is thousands of the same). While watts is amps * volts for DC circuits
and resistive AC circuits this does not hold for capacitance or
inductance circuits (most real applications). Capacitance or inductance
result in the AC current being out of phase with the AC voltage. This
results in the power dissipated by the circuit being reduced by a factor
(called the power factor).

Usually transformers or AC power supplies have VA ratings. For any given
circuit the power that can be drawn in watts is less than the VA rating
of the supply depending on the load presented by the circuit.

No doubt I have something confused here but it gives you the gist of
what VA is about.

Steve

Grant wrote:
What is VA and KVA and how or would it relate to max output amperage of a
electrical device?

Grant

Default What is VA and KVA?

What is VA and KVA and how or would it relate to max output amperage of a
electrical device?

Søren

"Grant" wrote in news:0w8qd.128939$cJ3.114627@fed1read06:

What is VA and KVA and how or would it relate to max output amperage
of a electrical device?

VA is Volt-Ampere, if talking DC, VA is the same as Watt, on AC there is a
phase angle to factor in.
KVA is kilo VA (1000 VA).

--
Venlig hilsen,