Electronics (alt.electronics)

Chris Hornberger

Default Might I impose?

I'm looking to build a simple analog to digital circuit as a pet project
thing, to help me get back in to electronics. I tinkered quite a bit as a
kid, but I'm rusty. Very rusty.

Here's what I'm looking to do... measure the voltage/resistance on a sensor
as it approaches ground, then turn that value into some digitally
transmitted value.

The example would be, say, the temperature sensor on the average automotive
engine, and pump that value at an RS232 line. I'm a programmer and can
handle the software side of things on the computer or data acquisition
device (probably in Java). I guess I'm just looking for a little guidance on
the converter/hardware side.

Any place in particular I should look, and/or could someone lend a hand?

Thanks.

--
____________
chornbe - yep, that's me

GL1100 rider
programmer
woodworker
all around nice guy!

loedown

Be enlightened, learn about PIC chips.

They incorporate RS-232, A-D Converters and are exceedingly cost effective

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/id...PAGE&nodeId=64

Paul

P.S. Many thanks to the individual who directed me to that link

scada

"Chris Hornberger" wrote in message
[...]

If I were doing it I would use a PIC chip as Paul suggested. However there
are other ways to do it if you do not want to go through the learning curve
to program a PIC chip.

1- Use an Analog to Digital IC, make a resistor divider to scale the range
of the Temp Sensor to the input of the DAC. Take the Digital output to a
MAX232 IC (RS232 converter). The rest is in your programming.

2- Use a Voltage to Frequency converter IC (check Analog devices, National
Semiconductors to name a few). Input the IC with the resistive divider as
above, and output the digital again to the MAX232 IC.

3- www.dataq.com has a neat package for $25 that inputs several Analog
channels and outputs that data in a graph on your computer! I bought one
awhile ago, it does the job.

Chris Hornberger

"loedown" wrote in message
Be enlightened, learn about PIC chips.

They incorporate RS-232, A-D Converters and are exceedingly cost effective

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/id...PAGE&nodeId=64

Thank you. I'll get to reading. I appreciate it!

Chris Hornberger

"scada" wrote in message
. net...

If I were doing it I would use a PIC chip as Paul suggested. However there
are other ways to do it if you do not want to go through the learning

curve
to program a PIC chip.

1- Use an Analog to Digital IC, make a resistor divider to scale the range
of the Temp Sensor to the input of the DAC. Take the Digital output to a
MAX232 IC (RS232 converter). The rest is in your programming.

2- Use a Voltage to Frequency converter IC (check Analog devices, National
Semiconductors to name a few). Input the IC with the resistive divider as
above, and output the digital again to the MAX232 IC.

3- www.dataq.com has a neat package for $25 that inputs several Analog
channels and outputs that data in a graph on your computer! I bought one
awhile ago, it does the job.

More excellent advice! Thank you!!

Steve

A twist on pic chips with significantly lower startup effort; check out
picaxe (www.pixaxe.com). It is one of a number of pic chip types with a
simple basic interpreter on it that can do A/D and RS232. You program it
via some free PC software and a serial lead. It can be reused multiple
times and most have on board ocsilators etc. so all you need is one chip
in many cases.
I have built loads of stuff from them.

Steve

Chris Hornberger wrote:

I'm looking to build a simple analog to digital circuit as a pet project
thing, to help me get back in to electronics. I tinkered quite a bit as a
kid, but I'm rusty. Very rusty.

Here's what I'm looking to do... measure the voltage/resistance on a sensor
as it approaches ground, then turn that value into some digitally
transmitted value.

The example would be, say, the temperature sensor on the average automotive
engine, and pump that value at an RS232 line. I'm a programmer and can
handle the software side of things on the computer or data acquisition
device (probably in Java). I guess I'm just looking for a little guidance on
the converter/hardware side.

Any place in particular I should look, and/or could someone lend a hand?

Thanks.

Junior Member

Free DataSheet Site.

http://www.datasheet.in