Electronics (alt.electronics)

Noozer

Default Bad to leave unused "wallwart" transformer plugged in?

Just wondering...

Is it OK to leave the AC adapters used by many gadgets plugged in while it
isn't connected to anything? For example, AC-DC charger for a cellphone
left plugged under my desk with the end of the cord on the desk in a handy,
out of the way location.

I assume that an AC-AC adapter should be OK, but an AC-DC might have
problems since it has the rectifier and filter caps always trickling a bit
of current through them. Even worse would be the switching supply of a
laptop when the laptop was elsewhere.

Other than the obvious electrical spikes that could damage anything, is it
bad to leave these things plugged in?

Kgf

Just a word of warning... Several fires have started from
adopters left
plugged in while not used. Some have a temp sensitive fuse
inside the
transformer, but the newer ones with switched supply have
usually no heat
sensitive fuse to my knowledge.

Noozer wrote:

Just wondering...

Is it OK to leave the AC adapters used by many gadgets plugged in while it
isn't connected to anything? For example, AC-DC charger for a cellphone
left plugged under my desk with the end of the cord on the desk in a handy,
out of the way location.

I assume that an AC-AC adapter should be OK, but an AC-DC might have
problems since it has the rectifier and filter caps always trickling a bit
of current through them. Even worse would be the switching supply of a
laptop when the laptop was elsewhere.

Other than the obvious electrical spikes that could damage anything, is it
bad to leave these things plugged in?

Reason

"Noozer" wrote in message
Just wondering...

Is it OK to leave the AC adapters used by many gadgets plugged in while it
isn't connected to anything? For example, AC-DC charger for a cellphone
left plugged under my desk with the end of the cord on the desk in a

handy,
out of the way location.

I assume that an AC-AC adapter should be OK, but an AC-DC might have
problems since it has the rectifier and filter caps always trickling a bit
of current through them. Even worse would be the switching supply of a
laptop when the laptop was elsewhere.

Other than the obvious electrical spikes that could damage anything, is it
bad to leave these things plugged in?

I'm not sure what Wal-Mart has to do with it, but the older types of
transformers used coils of lacquer-coated wire which would virtually last
forever if the lacquer did not break down over time by oxidation, shorting
out the wires, creating a short-circuit and setting it on fire. The newer
types use switching circuits, but are no safer in my opinion. Best to
unplug them when not in use.