Electronics (alt.electronics)

james

Default Powering a PC from a battery?

hi,

i know nothing about electrical things, but i wondered if it would be
possible to power my pc where there is no electricity, via a battery
or using a portable power pack? if so, what would i need?

i've searched maplins.co.uk and saw some bench power supplies, but am
unsure if which one, if any are suitable.

the power supply on my pc has an input of 115V - 6A 60Hz \ 230V - 3A
50Hz and the output is 300W MAX

any help appreciated.

regards,

james

http://www.usenet.com

Reason

"james" wrote in message
hi,

i know nothing about electrical things, but i wondered if it would be
possible to power my pc where there is no electricity, via a battery
or using a portable power pack? if so, what would i need?

i've searched maplins.co.uk and saw some bench power supplies, but am
unsure if which one, if any are suitable.

the power supply on my pc has an input of 115V - 6A 60Hz \ 230V - 3A
50Hz and the output is 300W MAX

What's missing here is the adapter output voltage, and whether it's DC or
AC.
If DC, you could find a battery pack to match the voltage of the computer.
If the adapter output is AC, then the inverter idea is the best option.

any help appreciated.

regards,

james

http://www.usenet.com

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:14:32 GMT, "Reason"
wrote:

"james" wrote in message
.. .
hi,

i know nothing about electrical things, but i wondered if it would be
possible to power my pc where there is no electricity, via a battery
or using a portable power pack? if so, what would i need?

i've searched maplins.co.uk and saw some bench power supplies, but am
unsure if which one, if any are suitable.

the power supply on my pc has an input of 115V - 6A 60Hz \ 230V - 3A
50Hz and the output is 300W MAX

What's missing here is the adapter output voltage, and whether it's DC or
AC.
If DC, you could find a battery pack to match the voltage of the computer.
If the adapter output is AC, then the inverter idea is the best option.

i presume by adapter, you mean the cable that plugs from the wall
outlet and into the computer? if so, it's 240v.

http://www.usenet.com
Art

240VAC input, I sincerely doubt the input to the computer is 240VAC unless
you are dealing with a desktop computer that is designed to function
directly form the mains. At that point the invertor is the most effecient
way to accomplish your quest. Running it from batteries would involve
modifications to the case and power supply circuitry. However if you are
trying to power a laptop via batteries then you can either use batteries, or
one battey that will supply proper voltage to the item ar sufficient current
to last more thatn a couple of hours. BTW the laptop should already have a
built in battery charger and normally comes with a battery, in that
particular case a spare battery or two may suffice.
wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:14:32 GMT, "Reason"
wrote:

"james" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Reason

wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:14:32 GMT, "Reason"
wrote:

"james" wrote in message
.. .
hi,

i know nothing about electrical things, but i wondered if it would be
possible to power my pc where there is no electricity, via a battery
or using a portable power pack? if so, what would i need?

i've searched maplins.co.uk and saw some bench power supplies, but am
unsure if which one, if any are suitable.

the power supply on my pc has an input of 115V - 6A 60Hz \ 230V - 3A
50Hz and the output is 300W MAX

What's missing here is the adapter output voltage, and whether it's DC or
AC.
If DC, you could find a battery pack to match the voltage of the

computer.
If the adapter output is AC, then the inverter idea is the best option.

i presume by adapter, you mean the cable that plugs from the wall
outlet and into the computer? if so, it's 240v.

Yes, the power adapter it the bit that plugs into the wall and into the
computer. If the output of this device is DC, it's a simple matter to hook
up a battery of equivalent voltage to replace the adapter.

If the adapter puts out AC current, then the simplest route is to keep using
the adapter and plug it into an inverter, which will provide the proper
current AC from a battery source.